Adams Grammar entrance 2010

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sujatha

Adams Grammar entrance 2010

Post by sujatha »

My son will be giving the Adams entrance exam in Nov 2010. Please can anyone recommend good teachers in Telford. Thank you
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Please reply to sujatha via PM, not on the open forum.
resmum

Tutors

Post by resmum »

Sorry - don't know any tutors but there are lots of materials on here which you can use to tutor your child yourself.

By the way, the Adams exam is usually in Jan, straight after the Christmas break, so you have an extra month to prepare.

Resmum
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

There is some talk that Adams' might be changing the entrance tests for Jan 2011 so it is worth checking on the school website to see which subjects will be included.
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

I have just checked the website and you are right about the date of the entrance test, it is now November. Also, the format of the tests seems to have changed completely. The website does offer some guidance.
sujatha

Post by sujatha »

Thankyou very much for your replies. Yes the date of exam has changed but they say KS2 Literacy, numeracy and problem solving. I really don't know how to go about it. No resources have been recommended. Please can you suggest any resources?

Thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

There seems to be very little info around.....only kids I knew who went there had been at Castle House whoch has quite a bit of experience of the test.

Is your child's school any help - they may have some experience of the exam?
resmum

adam's exam

Post by resmum »

It sounds like the school are trying to make the entrance exam a bit fairer by trying to discourage intensive tutoring.

If I were you I would:

Encourage reading to increase your son's vocabulary. If he doesn't like reading books then try to find other ways to get him to learn new words. There are some useful vocab lists you can download from this site.

Make sure he knows his times tables inside out. And try to cover the maths topics that are traditonally covered by 11plus which go a bit beyond KS2 ( nets, basic algebra, angles of triangles, etc.)

Practice doing word/maths oriented puzzles and some non-verbal reasoning (i.e. where you are looking for patterns or sequences).

Finally, make sure he knows to work quickly and not spend too much time on one question (unless there are very few questions in the test!) but to move on and go back to it later. Also, to try to use what he already knows if a question seems too difficult - e.g. the area of a right angled triangle is half the area of a rectangle made up of the two shorter sides.

Good luck

Resmum
sujatha

Post by sujatha »

Thank you for the useful tips. sure , we will try those.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now