Are all VR and NVR tests the same

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pickly

Are all VR and NVR tests the same

Post by pickly »

We have sat one set of these and know the marks obtained. Since we still have another set to go I am wondering whether the standard is the same at all schools or if they use different levels according to how academic the school. Also, what would be considered a good/excellent mark?

Any info gratefully received
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

I think it must be fairly obvious that the answer to the first part of your question is NO. At the simplest level the test measures the individual's language skills and an assumption is made the individual is proficient in English language to a sufficient level thay may fully develop their intellectual ability in all academic subjects.
I am not in favour of practicing tests as such. I believe language skills are much better developed by encouraging reading quality literature, fact and fiction and developing vocabulary, synonyms, anagrams, etc and comprehension exercises, short story writing. Having said that my daughter's small group had enrichment wok in year five which was deliberately pitched at satisfying the entry requirements of fiercely competative Gramar School entry.
They used as examples the Secondary Selection Portfolio: Verbal Reasoning Practice Papers levels 2 & 3. None of the group had any difficulty with these and all went on subsequently to be offered GS places and many like my daughter also passed their Indy school entrance exams. In the case of dd she was offered scholarships at Kings High Warwick and Rugby school.
The under mentioned link cites some marking/level indicators.
http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/tests/verbaltest.htm
and yes I know this is for a University not a school.
pickly

Post by pickly »

Thank you for your reply. Have had a look at the site, very interesting. I wonder if perhaps I didn't explain myself very well. I have no intention of practising the tests with my DS, but wondered since he did well at one school if the standard was generally the same that would equate with a good score in the next one (or two as we are talking about VR and NVR).
guest43

Post by guest43 »

Hi there. Although NVR and VR tests are not all the same they typically are produced from only maybe half a dozen sources. In other words individual schools are unlikely to produce the test themselves but "buy one off the shelf".

This means that, although they are not strictly comparable, as a rule of thumb they are similar enough for a good performance in one to suggest a general ability to perform well at NVR/VR.

Individual schools will however have their own benchmark for what they expect applicants to achieve to be successful. Again as a rule of thumb the more academic the school the higher the benchmark applied.

That said very few independent schools will consider NVR/VR results on their own but will look at applicants' ability in areas such as Maths and English (in other words can they do sums and can they write essays?). They will also often look at "soft factors" such as what they will bring to the school (music,sports,positive attitude etc)
pickly

Post by pickly »

Thank you so much for this, definitely answers the question in that the standard at each is roughly comparable.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now