Travel distance to school in T Wells?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
amychaos

Travel distance to school in T Wells?

Post by amychaos »

Hi i'm a newbie, but have found this site very helpful over the past year. Does anyone travel from the Yalding and surrounding area to Tonbridge/T Wells Grammars (boys)? We have a realistic chance of a place there but is it an unreasonable travelling distance - how far do other boys travel????We loved the schools as smaller than Maidstone, but wouldnt want him to be the only one travelling from this direction/this distance in general? Can't afford a place any nearer and wouldnt want to move.....any thoughts would be helpful??
Good luck for those waiting for 2nd March.
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

I think that if you have a look on the respective schools' websites, you may find they tell you from where buses / coaches run. There's one that goes down from Bromley way, through Orpington, so there may be one from your direction?
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

And just having googled Yalding, you must be half the distance, so I would have thought a good chance....
amychaos

Post by amychaos »

Thanks - its hard to get a feel of how far kids travel to these schools, wouldnt want him travelling the furthest and feeling left out. Didnt realise they came from so far away.....
Blue Peter

Post by Blue Peter »

Hi - All I can say that if you do opt for the Maidstone Grammars, you're life will be much less stressful, as living in Yalding you are in catchment for them both and the the entry mark for both Maidstone schools tends to be lower. You will also have free transport laid on. Wheras the competition for the Tunbridge Wells / Tonbridge schools is horrendous . Good Luck which ever you choose.
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

I'm guessing AC's DS has already sat 11+, and scored 415+ ? I think last year Judd's cut-off was 414 and Skinner's about 406 (someone will know exact figures). There will probably also be some waiting-list places too. I don't know if more children sat 11+ / Kent test in 2009, rather than 2008, and, of course, there'll be other factors influencing cut-off points.
amychaos

Post by amychaos »

Yes, he has done well and is a bright boy, and i can see him fitting in happily at Skinners, but he is quiet. MGS seems enormous and i can see him being overwhelmed, but is slightly nearer. (We do seem to live in the middle but all family/friends in T Wells so we know it better). He was also completely put off by MGS when he saw a heart being dissected - he is adamant he never wants to go there....he is so squeamish and thinks that is what they spend their time doing every day!!!!!

Just didnt know if he would be one of the furthest travellers to Skinners. Judd would be slightly easier but am scared off by reports of how difficult it is to get into - just feeling a bit naive and nervous I suppose - its all new to me and just want him to thrive.

Thanks for your comments
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

I doubt he'll be the furthest to travel, to either of them. The pastoral care seems excellent at both schools, and my DS' BF travel from Badger's Mount, and doesn't find it a problem. Our decision was based on size of school for our DS, and we haven't regretted it. I think you'll be delighted with either - presumably Judd's on your CAF ? :D
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

The journey will be aweful

West kent in general is not well connected from mid kent.

Ony 2 choices I can see is get on the bus is it No 6/7 but from my memory the first bust gets into Tunbridge wells just at about 9am which is rather late.

Secondly the more realistic option is to jump on the train at yalding and make a change in tonbridge or paddock wood and this will be around 50mins just on the trains. Realistically it would be a good hour and half from home to schools and I think thats a little bit much

I can understand why you arent keen on the Maidstone ones, we arent so keen on them too and for the grammas our first choice for us would be Tonbridge if she scores enough but we are prepared to move to sort of halfway between.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Hi amychaos - bit confused has your son already sat 11+? Have you already chosen the schools for your CAF and just waiting for March? Just it sounds as if you haven't made the choice yet. In which case I would do the journey at the relevant times and see what you think. My DS is going to have to travel and it is a big consideration.

Anyway if you type "travelling by public transport to the skinners school" into google it brings up bus routes and timetables. From memory there are buses coming from your way - Mereworth etc. Give it a go. Helped us.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now