Tiffin - can any recommend a tutor

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Tiffin - can any recommend a tutor

Post by Guest »

Hi - am new to all this - can anyone recommend a tutor with a good success rate? I presume the best ones assess children's realistic chancs before taking them on?
Any info gratefully received....
TT

Post by TT »

Well, it is 100% your choice to coach your child with a tutor, but in my opinion, if you can and if you can spend time with your child then you can coach your child yourself.

There are plenty of wonderful practice materials available for free as well as for a price. The huge amounts you will pay to a tutor can be easily saved. There are books also available from local libraries that you can borrow. All it requires is planning ahead and bit of self organisation.

TT
Thea

Post by Thea »

Thanks (guest was me, had not got the hang of posting) - just discovered this site yesterday and have have been glued to it (almost) ever since...
Incredibly useful postings, having read thru practically the whole forum have now a much better picture of what is required. I previously had no idea what to expect - our only local grammar is Tiffin, and the local hysteria about it among parents is imense.. The accepted wisdom (!) is that even the brightest kids have no chance unless comprehensively and expensively coached from year 3 or 4... tutors names are jealously guarded and waiting lists long.. I am now of the mind that if the child is capable of benefitting from the school then it will not need hot-housing - if it only passes due to hot-housing it will not enjoy life at the school. I am now veering towards the alternative of home practice and not starting too early - and having a good plan B!
Now I am interested in the possibility of seminars/workshops to give parents advice on how to help children at home - do these exist??
Best Regards,
Thea
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now