Reserve List - advice please!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Suey12

Reserve List - advice please!

Post by Suey12 »

We've just received news that our DS is on the reserve list for our favourite choice of school. :D

I'm thrilled - anything but the dreaded 'NO' ! :D

Realistically, how often do reserve places turn into actual offers ? My OH says it's just a polite way of turning us down, but I'm sure they would just have turned us down !!! Surely there's no point in them saying DS is on a reserve list if he has absolutely no chance at all? :?

They say will be told for sure after 5th March (after 11+ results, and state schools are allocated).

Any advice will be appreciated. I don't know any actual figures.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Can you find out where on the waiting list your DC is.

I imagine that they are anticipating things to change after allocation day when a number of places they have offered will, in all probability, be turned down by those who have been offered GS places and therefore your DC may go up the waiting list/be offered a place.

This happens in our area - so it does happen! Hope this helps.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Suey12, you will find that there will be a lot of movement once people start confirming school places over the next 2-3 weeks.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

My OH says it's just a polite way of turning us down,
I don't think that is accurate.

There should be huge movement.

There will be many candidates who have applied to multiple independents... they can only go to 1.

Depending on the area, there may also be many GS candidates who are using Independent as a backup, these candidates are likely to be turning down multiple independents if their GS option comes off; given they are likely eventual GS candidates they will probably have passed the academic selection phase for the independents.

Being on the reserve list is good; but there is no way of knowing before March 2nd + a week or two how the lists will behave; people who are holding offers also often defer their decision as late as possible in case their circumstances are subject to change etc.... not nice for those waiting.

Good Luck.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

you don't say which area you are in but the fact that the school is talking about change by March 5th implies that a lot of the kids may be offered State school places which they may take up having taking the indie as a back up. Lots of people get in off wating lists in these circumstances and some schools still have places for late applicants after that... so good luck for March 5th!!
Suey12

Post by Suey12 »

Thanks for all your very positive replies.

I'll have to sit and meditate in a darkened room for just another three weeks !!!! :roll:
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Suey12 wrote:three weeks
Closer to 5 weeks.... March 2nd + 2 weeks for acceptances?
Animis opibusque parati
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

Start talking to the Registrar. Explain that this is absolutely your first choice school.

They will know within the next couple of weeks how things are moving, at least with kids considering other independents. In London schools vary in popularity from year to year and it is difficult to judge numbers. If they start to think they will need to move through their wait list they will want to encourage you. If it starts looking as if they will be over subscribed they will not want your hopes raised.

At this point it is nothing about how good your child is. She is good enough for the school. It is simply a numbers issue. If and when places come up - and they may even until the end of the summer - the school will want to offer to people who are very likely to accept. Otherwise they could find themselves going deeper and deeper into their wait list with parents taking two weeks to respond each time.

Good luck.
another mother

Post by another mother »

agree with london mum. Phone first thing and say this is the school you want - there will be movement! quite possibly lots. We know several people who have had offers almost immediately after saying this is def first choice.
Suey12

Post by Suey12 »

Well I phoned the school to try and gain some info -

They "couldn't" tell me how near the top of the Reserve List my DS is, but said that their deadline for acceptances is 5th March, so after 8th March we would have more idea of movement.

Last year nearly all those offered a place actually accepted. The year before there were a lot of successful reserves. It really does depend on so many things.

They will phone immediately if a place becomes available..... HELP !!!! :lol:

One thing is for sure - we really want this place!