11+ Tutors

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rosetinted

11+ Tutors

Post by rosetinted »

HELP!!!

I just picked my daughter up from school - I normally stand across the road and wait for my daughter to come out before I cross over but today it was raining so I sheltered under a tree in the playground and overhead a conversation that has left me feeling like a very bad mum indeed :(

I seems everyone has private tutors in preparation for the 11+. I went to Altrincham Grammar and I'm sure no one had tutors then - lol I'm so out of touch! I'd love for my daughter to go there and know she is more than capable but it now looks like the competition is a little tougher than it used to be!! I don't really know any of the mums at the school gates, I'm quite shy and tend to stand back from the crowd so I don't know who to ask.

I wonder if anyone here would be able to recommend someone in the Altrincham area? My daughter is in Year 4.

I'm new to this forum and I'm not sure if posting names is allowed so please send me a PM if that is ok?

Many thanks.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi rosetinted and welcome to the forum!

3 points
1 your daughter is in year 4 so there is plenty of time
2 Plenty of people home tutor kids and there is lots of info on this website
3 there is nothing like a playground convesation to wind you up! :wink:

If anyne does know tutors please can they pm rosetinted- thanks!!
anxious loreto mum

Post by anxious loreto mum »

Hi

sent you a pm
rosetinted

Post by rosetinted »

Thanks loretto mum :D
hermanmunster wrote: there is nothing like a playground convesation to wind you up! :wink:
Very true :lol:

I think I will have to start standing under that tree from now on ... paranoid moi?!
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

The Playground

Parents waiting to collect year five children

P1: Have you thought about September and choosing a new school?

P2: No, not really, best to let nature run its course, the local school is really good.

P1: Oh, I overheard that some parents are doing some kind of preparation? Have you?

P2: Don’t be silly, we may have done a wee bit of familiarization, but we don’t approve of tutoring and hot housing!

P1: Phew, thanks, I had a horrible feeling that we were missing out, look forward to seeing you at the local school in year 7.

P2: Don’t be silly, we will move house or go private.

Sorry for hijacking your thread but having been through it once, embarking on it for a second time, with a third to come, I have experienced the playground politics of mis-information.

The mythical magical tutor probably doesn’t exist and like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow……

A little and often, morning and evening (tutors can’t do that) preparation can go a long way.

This site gives you access to so much more information than the school gate, oh and we are here 24/7, well almost. :)

steve

P2 sounds like Margo from "The Good Life"
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

have sent you a PM RT
Gman

Post by Gman »

Wait until the start of yr 5 before you look at getting a tutor.

Also, be direct and ask the primary school teachers and head what preparation they do. They may say none, but quietly teach the kids the styles of vr and nvr questions. This is what happened with my child. I know this because when we did some exam preparation at home, she explained the questions to me.

As for finding tutor, ask around, even your childs teacher but also do internet searches. There are plenty around Trafford.

And go to any book store and pick up the correct style of questions from them. Alti Girls will sell you a pack of sample questions to practise so call the office direct. Look at their website for the contact number for admissions.

Finally believe in your child, encourage but be honest about the different schools around.
rosetinted

Post by rosetinted »

Thankyou everyone for your advice. It sounds like we are a little too early to start with the 11+ tuition just yet but in the meantime we are looking at finding someone who can help build her confidence and go over again some of the things she finds difficult (mainly maths). I spoke to one of the mums this morning and she gave me the name of someone who has done wonders with daughter and has really helped her to understand things that the teacher is failing to/doesn't have time to go over. We are going to see them on Saturday.

The plan is then to move on to the entrance exam/11+ tuition when she is ready later on this year - thanks anxious loreto mum for your recommendation.

I won't rush it and I don't want to scare her just yet so will leave test papers out for a while but we sat together last night and looked at a couple of VR questions I found online and she did better than me (not difficult :) ) I think with a little help on her maths we will get there.

TIDDLYMUM - sorry, I haven't received your PM?
Charlie79

Post by Charlie79 »

I don't mean to scare you, but I have encountered this, my child is in a class of 30 and all but 2 of them were being tutored. I feel I have somehow disadvantaged my child by not having a tutor.

Some of the children had been tutored for 2years and one of them for 3!!!!

Having said that, twins being tutored by the same tutor for 18months one passed all three exams and one failed all three they took. Make of that as you will!

My two elder children were not tutored and got through all their exams with flying colours, but this was quite a number of years ago and I didn't know one child who was being tutored in their classes. :roll:
cleo

Post by cleo »

My DS did not go to a tutor. I bought some papers to familarise him with the type of questions and completing them in the time limit (near the time of the exam).
What I did discover was if I had trouble explaining/understanding any questions someone had also posted the same/similiar question on the relevant forum. Hence many people/tutors on this websites are extremley helpful.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now