Attending Careers Evenings

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Snowdrops

Attending Careers Evenings

Post by Snowdrops »

My dd's school has an open careers evening next month to which all pupils are invited to attend (along with their parents).

Now my dd is only in 1st year (year 7 - dd's school tend to stick to the traditional forms :D :D ) yet already she is talking of careers and option choices and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to go along to get a feel of what she/we should be looking at - even putting other career ideas into her head so she can see the realm of possibilities - or is it too early do you think?
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Do go along. The first one I attended was when my DC was at the same stage as your DC. Both of us had some questions which were answered and so DC's horizon was broadened (if that's the right expression :D ).
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

definitely go..especially as she is interested

Miss yoyo in last few months of uni and still not sure!
:roll:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Thanks for your responses :D

We have spoken to dd and she's very eager to attend :shock: - I thought she might say 'Oh mum!!', but she's raring to go :lol: :lol:

I'm just thinking along the lines that, although it's early, it will give her an idea of what she needs to aim for and maybe even alternative career ideas which, if left until the last minute - options year (maybe she needs a subject which requires an extra push from her to get the a* for instance) may be too late to chose.

It's only an hour and is an open evening with 'stalls' laid out from local and national employers so hopefully she'll come away with something - even if it is only earache from me nagging :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

You are a better woman (other genders are available - I assume you are a woman but could be wrong) than I , Snowdrops. I figure that with 3 children, over the course of the next 5 years I will attend about 200 parents' evenings, at least 6 options evenings, numerous concerts, services, prizegivings and sports events. Anything to do with careers in Year 7 and I would be at home with a glass of wine and a bubbly bath instead. Well done you - hope you both enjoy it!
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I wish my DDs were as motivated as those of other posters!
I feel sorry for them really because with a few notable exceptions most jobs are rubbish - working for beastly employers and constantly having to do more unpaid overtime than the next person to curry favour with some line manager you'd rather shoot.
Then there's the ritual humiliation of staff appraisals and the endless pointless meetings.
I can remember being given copies of THe Directory of Graduate Opportunities and some other ghastly anthology of jobs in our final year at uni but all we did was to have a competition to throw them out of the top floor windows! Not very mature I know but I think we knew even then that the world of work was going to be even worse than working for alan sugar!
Self employment seems one option but I do not know how I am going to persuade DDs!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

magwich2 wrote:I wish my DDs were as motivated as those of other posters!
I feel sorry for them really because with a few notable exceptions most jobs are rubbish
Oh dear Magwich 2, do you really believe that? :(
I like my job.It pays badly but I know that my students appreciate me and I am helping people.(you may think me one of those priggish types you complained of in another thread :( )
My OH loves his job which is of a vocational nature too.I just tell my girls that "you are a long time working,(prob age 70 retirement by the time they get there. :roll: ),find something that fulfills you to some extent".Their education gives them the choice.
Sure ...there are plenty of times I wish we had more money but still wouldn't trade places.Would you not encourage them into more, for want of a better word, vocational forms of employment?
Probably you think me too idealistic.... :(
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Not at all Chelmsford Mum- DH is a teacher and I quite agree with you.
I think that most of the jobs that are OK are those where people are working for the state probably because the person in charge of you is not paying you out of their own pocket!
DH trained as an engineer and did in fact work for a certain company which designs aero engines but could not wait to escape! Condemned at an early stage as " not a company man" - a compliment in my book - he planned his escape carefully and never looked back! When we see various august bodies extolling the virtues of careers in engineering, especially for girls, we think it is almost actionable and total nonsense for most of them!
Still, its good that not everyone feels like us but I really do think that if work is to bebetter for most employees we need a better work/life balance and stronger trade unions
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

magwich2 wrote:and stronger trade unions
Well it just goes to show how you can form the wrong impression of people on this forum! Didn't take you for a fellow comrade :wink:

Only joking - do really feel that job satisfaction wins hands down over financial incentives.Your DH nade the right move.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Yes Chelmsford Mum - My dad was a shop steward of 25 years standing and I used to lecture in Industrial Relations Law!
BUT remember mc kenzie though - In the 70's and 80's 30%+ of trade union members voted Conservative!!!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now