Information

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Booklady

Information

Post by Booklady »

Hi - just wondering if anyone can help. Where can I find the information on how many children from out of county get into Stroud High School for girls? We may be moving for my work (which would be in Trowbridge) - and it's been suggested living in Malmesbury and applying for Stroud may be an option - but I can't seem to find info on how many girls from out of catchment get in.

Currently we live in Bucks - so I know all about that system - but struggling a little with the options if we move. Daughter currently in Y5 and studying towards Bucks 11+ (but I gather the Gloucestershire one is similar?)

Thanks for any advice / help! Much appreciated!! :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

There is no catchment to be out of.
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Amber wrote:There is no catchment to be out of.
Thanks Amber - I guess what I am asking is likelihood of getting into Stroud provided the 11+ is passed if you live out of county in, say, Malmesbury. Any idea of that?
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Hi Booklady,

Amber is right - there is no catchment. Places are awarded to the top 120 scorers in the exam. Doesn't matter whether you live next door to the school or in Scotland, your score carries equal weight.

If what you need to know is whether there are many children travelling from out of Stroud to Stroud High School, I think the answer is yes, but I don't have a child at the school so I'm sure someone else could give you a better idea.

Hope that helps,

Pixiequeen
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Right - thanks Pixiequeen - now I understand. So do they give no preference at all to applicants from in county? Out of county, provided the score is high enough comes in ahead of a lower in county score?

How many is the score out of? And, historically does anyone know how high you have to score to be in the top 120?

Thanks for all your help - I understand the Bucks system fully - but they are all different so now I feel I am starting from scratch again!!

Thanks again to all!
pixiequeen wrote:Hi Booklady,

Amber is right - there is no catchment. Places are awarded to the top 120 scorers in the exam. Doesn't matter whether you live next door to the school or in Scotland, your score carries equal weight.

If what you need to know is whether there are many children travelling from out of Stroud to Stroud High School, I think the answer is yes, but I don't have a child at the school so I'm sure someone else could give you a better idea.

Hope that helps,

Pixiequeen
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Hi there

You may find some useful information in the Transfer to Secondary School booklets for Gloucestershire - found at the bottom of this webpage

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/index ... cleid=7726

It has details on Stroud High and the scores needed.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Hi,

There is a distance clause: "Where this criterion applies to two or more potential students, selection will be on the basis of geographical proximity to the school measured in a straight line from the centre of the student’s home address, including flats, to the main reception of the school using the Google map measuring system".

BUT that only applies when the other criteria (which is only 'sibling at school or at Marling) has come into effect for children of the same weighted score. So a child with a score of 250 living at Malmesbury would be higher on the list than a child scoring 249 but living on the schools doorstep, and another with a score of 249 from Malmesbury being slightly lower down (but above a score of 248). You'd have to be very unlucky indeed to miss out on a place because of distance - it probably affects 1 person per year, if that.

I know that there certainly are children from Malmesbury in the current Y7 (one of my daughters friends), so assume there is some kind of transport available - have a word with the school. Also worth having a look around - there will be open days before the end of the school year (as the test next year is going to be earlier than this year).

As you're not from round these parts (ooh arr), have you considered 'fall back' positing if the worst happened and your daughter didn't pass? Last year we looked at Sir William Romney comp in Tetbury, amongst other schools. It had a good feel about it, and had we lived closer, we would have put it as our second choice. They stream very quickly, and only teach unstreamed for PE and the like, so a bright child would be in a class with other bright children (and it's far enough from a grammar that not all bright ones will be shipped up to Stroud - though there's also quite a few anti-grammar parents in Stroud who ensure a better mix in the Stroud comps than might be expected). The only things we didn't like about it was no sixth form - Cirencester College or Downfield (Stroud High & Marlin) Sixth Forms are the progression, and that it's a Church School (which many would find a plus point).

Let us know what you decide.
Capers
arealfarmer

Post by arealfarmer »

Booklady wrote:
Amber wrote:There is no catchment to be out of.
Thanks Amber - I guess what I am asking is likelihood of getting into Stroud provided the 11+ is passed if you live out of county in, say, Malmesbury. Any idea of that?
Why not just move to be close to the school ?
Of course it would be easier for a parent to travel to work than for a child to travel to school .......
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I do have a couple of other questions - because I am getting a bit confused with everything I've seen. For Gloucestershire Grammars the kids take two exams - are these both Verbal Reasoning - or one Verbal and one Non-Verbal? Do they contain the 21 questions as per the Bucks system - or something else? And I am confused over the answer sheets - are they as per Bucks, or something different? In other word are the multiple choice answers listed to be selected from on the answer sheets, or just a,b,c etc

With the two exams - what is the maximum score which can be gained? And what is the pass mark / minimum score anyone gets into a grammar in Gloucestershire? What % of children score above the pass mark / get into the grammars in a typical year?

Thanks for all your help! Much appreciated! :) :)
Amber

Post by Amber »

Both VR. If you log onto the Pate's grammar school website there are sample papers. The exam is the same for all the Glos grammars - you only sit it once and the outcome is communicated to you just 2 weeks later in letter form from all the schools you are interested in. You then get to apply to them and provided that not too many people score more than you, you should get in at that stage - letters on 1 March which is why the Glos forum is buzzing at the moment. There is no pass mark as such, but a stepped system of 'eligible to apply' marks, ranging from 'impossibly high unless you were doing Baby VR - forget Baby Mozart' for Pates to 'achievable with years of coaching' for the others. It is a mad, crazy system here and if you have any sense you will not even think about doing it! OK, I am not an impartial commentator here, as you might already have gathered. I am sure someone like Milla will be able to give you a much more balanced view. Best of luck to you and DD!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now