st olaves admissions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
puzzled

st olaves admissions

Post by puzzled »

hello, please can anyone tell me is st. olaves school for gifted children only - or is it worth sitting the exam if your child is deemed grammar school standard, but not gifted. thank you
Billie

Post by Billie »

It is a 'superselective'. However, it depends on your son's strengths as the tests are in Maths and English. So, it is possible to get into St Olave's after not having done well in the Kent tests, but they do need to be very bright to keep up.
nissi

Post by nissi »

Puzzled, St O's is super-selective in that it has no catchment area . If your DS teachers think he is GS material-why not? It might help to ask his school what they think of you applying. I don't think all St O boys are hugely gifted- just bright and focussed. I would say there is no harm in trying, but it would depend on your child as to where you want to place it on the CAF. Of the other super-selectives that we have sat this year, the rank order is separated by as little as 0.01 marks! We are awaiting National offer day to see what we're actually offered :roll: :P
doodles

Post by doodles »

DS1 sat St O's and he had a good gs pass but I would not say he is super bright - just a focussed and bright boy. Don't know what the outcome will be - will tell you on Monday - but I do know that in the region of 900 boys sat it this year apparently (somebody may have a more accurate figure).
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
long and winding road

Post by long and winding road »

GOOD LUCK FOR ST O'S DOODLES!!! MAYBE WE'LL BOTH BE LUCKY!
nissi

Post by nissi »

Yes, all the best to everyone for tomorrow- here's hoping for lots of great news for all includoing us :D !
when the process will end

Post by when the process will end »

It is cruel that Kent is sending emails today and we have to wait another day.

Best of luck to us and everybody else for a successful outcome.
frogsmum

Post by frogsmum »

My son has just been offered a place and although he's not gifted his maths is well above average. It is very difficult to tutor for the test and they want boys with natural ability so if he passes he's good enough. It's only a few hours on a Saturday morning so go for it.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Puzzled - you must remember that the St O's entry is very different from the Kent 11+. There are two papers - a "proper" Maths paper and an English paper as opposed to Maths VR and NVR (plus English which is only taken into account for borderline/appeals (?)). You can download a partial past paper from their website.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now