City of London School for Girls Offer

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
LadyBlahBlah

City of London School for Girls Offer

Post by LadyBlahBlah »

My dtr has just been offered a place at CLSG (no assistance :cry: ). Whilst a struggle, we have already decided that worth it and she is delighted.
I am worried, however, that she may be out of her comfort zone. She had no tutoring, currently attends a failing state school and is a late summer baby. No real preparation for the indie sector as it was not on our radar until she told us she wanted to go to a girls school.
She has clearly done very, very well to be offered a place but I am guessing that, academically below the bursary standard (if that is how it is measured).
My question is whether she will be ok in this environment as she will not have had the benefit of a prep school or tutoring prior to admission. I don't want to set her up to fail.
Sue123

Post by Sue123 »

I think that the competition for places is so intense that they would not have offered her a place (with or without a bursary) if they were not convinced that she will do well there. So I would say: go for it, don't worry and congratulations to her!
LadyBlahBlah

Post by LadyBlahBlah »

Oh thank you - yes, we are brimming with pride as a real achievement for her. She wanted to do it and knew that the odds were stacked against her (very mature for a 10 year old lol!).
She is on the waiting list for a bursary (which would be sooo appreciated) but I have no idea how this works in reality (other than the obvious money becoming available if a girl with multiple offers turns down a place). Would this be likely though at CLSG or are all the indie schools much of a muchness (we chose CLSG as nearest to our home).
another mother

Post by another mother »

They won't offer unless they are confident she can cope. elder dd is at City and the jump from non competitive primary and minimal tutoring was tough in year 7 but she managed - it was work load, rather than stretch on the whole. As long as you can give her back up and particularly if you've done it without tutoring at all your DD is clearly brilliant and will cope - well done!!

The first year is hard if you come from a school with a no homework policy as we did etc.. dd was in bottom maths set and did get very tired - however was in mid set by year 8 for maths, and is now considering doing if for A level.. I would say generally that her primary school educated friends have done as well if not better than many of the prep school entrants. Hope that's reassuring - do pm if you want more info.
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

You do need to accept that there will be a lot of catching up in subjects like maths Latin and French and that homework may be a shock. Not CoLG, but at another London day school my prep school educated daughter had already learned the fine art of doing enough, but not too much, sometimes dashing it off at lunchtime. In contrast some of her state school friends not only had more to learn, but also had to learn to get things done and not spend hours.

Do plan for an extended rest during the first half term and also help where you can with work planning. In particular it is worth following what is standard school advice and only allow 20/30 minutes per homework. If they don't finish it that is fine. The teacher needs to know and you avoid having a tired and stressed child.

They sort themselves out by the end of Year 7. At which point application will probably be important as school background and/or intelligence. They will all be very bright girls, but by this point some will have turned goth or be too cool for school. Sensible level headed girls who just get on with things will do fine.

The other thing you might pay attention to is that some girls will be quite self-assured and sophisticated. (London!) It can take a while for the quieter, younger or less assured girls to find each other, and in the short term they may feel quite overwhelmed. Having another interest such as music or sport helps as this is a way of finding like minded friends across the year group. And worth encouraging friendships though play dates etc.

She should really enjoy it, and well done!
Daogroupie

State primary to City

Post by Daogroupie »

Dear Ladyblahblah, my dd has also won a place at City from a state primary. Are you going to the offer day on Tuesday? Would you like to meet up for Lunch afterwards? City strikes me as a school that does not really bother about where you came from but rather who you are and what you want to be. I am sure our girls would soar given all those opportunites and small class size. my dd has always chosen to work amid the loafers. Your dd must be v gifted to get in with no preparation. Some of those who got in will have been prepped for years. Miss Vernon seems very keen to weed a lot of them out. I have no worries about homework or general workload. Given a level playing field I think the state girls who have chosen to work are probably more likely to do well than those who have had it all mapped out for them. But all the great advice from city mothers is wonderful, keep it coming.
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

Sorry I posted in response to something I felt was quite rude. But this post has now been removed. I don't know how to remove my post so explanation instead!

No problem Londonmum - moderator had tidied the post up !- hermanmunster
another mother

Post by another mother »

oh dear - was that me? didn't mean to be rude to anyone - just reflecting our experience! Aplogies anyway. exhausted - much more than the dd doing GCSEs :oops:

Londonmum's advice about take it easy during the first half term is a very good general rule. - dd was on her knees in first few weeks of year 7 - so much to get used to, particularly the travelling which was stressful in itself but which by the spring she took in her stride. (her form teacher told me, when I called, that they expected them to be like the walking dead but to recover after half term!! this was some years ago I hasten to add).
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Another Mother, it wasn't you who was rude! That post was removed by me.
LadyBlahBlah

Post by LadyBlahBlah »

Hi LondonMum, thank you for all the advice. All makes perfect sense to me and gratefully received. The amount of homework has been worrying me as you should hear the screams when she gets it once a week let alone every night lol! Don't know what the reference to a 'rude' post was as I haven't seen it - strange, why would someone be rude!

DaoGroupie, hi to you as well. I am definitely going on Tues. Strange, because every time we went to the school (open day, taster, exam and interview) I always wondered if it would be our last visit and here we are going again this week. I would love to meet for lunch but I won't be able to on Tues as have to get the little one back to school and dash off to work. Yes, my dtr has always wanted to do well and is very clear about where she wants to go/be - has been from the age of about 6!! I say no preparation but she had 4 sessions with a tutor that we found in December before the exam in Jan. I tried to go through some papers with her in Oct/Nov but she huffed and puffed so much that the process was painful to say the least so we abandoned that effort!
pm me so that we can at least say hello.

Another Mother - I didn't see anything in your post that might be rude! All, good, sound, gratefully received advice.