Types of question in the tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Hi

Firstly, good luck to all those awaiting results for Warks Grammar School,

I would like to ask, once the "Purdah" dust settles, can anyone shed any light on the maths questions asked in Nov 2008 and Nov 2009. I understand that there are 3 categories of maths questions:

1. Short mathematical questions will test ability in mental arithmetic and recognition of mathematical patterns (curriculum free as possible). A rigorous test of working memory skills with a speed element to this section. Not all the candidates will be expected to finish.

2. Longer mathematics problems explore numerical problem solving requiring more stages of processing with a greater verbal element involved than in the short maths questions.

3. Data processing questions reading and interpreting tables, bar graphs and line graphs, completing a table/ bar graph from given data, solving problems using information presented in tables/ bar graphs/ line graphs.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I can truthfully say that my daughter remembers nothing of the test other than that it was hard and frantic as there were many questions to be answered within short amounts of time. It will be interesting to see how she did...
Sassie'sDad

light on maths questions

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Hi Optimist, I read (sometime in the last month) a post quoting actual numbers of question by type. Have no idea where the figures came from and suspect they were made up for several reasons.

Firstly CEM does not publish any passed papers, which would lead one to suspect maladministration somewhere if indeed the numbers were true.

Secondly for those candidates of a calibre likely to achieve success the maths standard has never been SO high it has given candidates serious problems.

Thirdly as C67 and other contributors have suggested it was the change of examination format which caused some candidates difficulty. That was much less a matter of level of difficulty more about what they had been prepared to expect - how they were familiarised.

Those who had received a lot of tutoring were particularly shaken (as were their tutors) because of two practical changes.
1 Inclusion of mixed format multiple choice style meant a huge number of potential questions to answer in the (whole) selective assessment.

2 It was divided into individual booklets for each section. Candidates who finished each section could go back over and check their answers/ re- attempt questions but only in that section.Each section was timed and it was apparent that many candidates were not comfortable working under sever time constraints.

As stated previously there were pages of questions (five I think) and it was common experience only to answer a small proportion of them.(and yet pass)
Tutors were mostly caught out by the change. Having previously worked with Athey/Nfer style questions they read the sample paper through quickly (without understanding the small print) and reasoned, seemingly reasonable enough, that as MC is inherently easier, then their thoroughly prepared candidates wouldn't have serious difficulties!

For what it's worth I have an up-loadable PDF document of the test. Reading the small print carefully should leave one without reason to think the actual test was materially different. PM me if you want the file.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now