Tommy scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MChelt

Tommy scores

Post by MChelt »

Does anyone have info re. the lowest score this year for a Tommy's offer ?
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

I know so far it has gone down to 215.
cairo

Post by cairo »

Just phoned up the Schools Admissions Team and got this interesting information. This year the lowest score for an offer at Tommys was 215 - however, not everybody with a score of 215 got in as there weren't enough slots. They put the names (10?) in a hat and drew out the winners.

Tolstoy - looks like the Gods were smiling down on you that day!
Milla

Post by Milla »

this calls for a huge OMG - but he deserves to be there, Tolstoy, a clever boy who blipped on the day but is in legitimately!!!!!!
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

OMG!:shock:

I remember commenting on this way of selecting a while ago and not being happy about it. Am even more shocked that DS is in now as when younger they had to fix the weekly Sunday school raffle because the poor thing never ever won yet his brother won constantly.

Gloucestershire 11+ is truly a lottery how ridiculous is that!

Had a feeling 215 was the lowest. I know a couple of years ago 8 boys had the same mark so they let all 8 in. Seems fairer to me. Hopefully these other boys will get in pretty soon after the 15th deadline but if they don't and others get in on appeal precluding them it will make the thing even more of a mockery than it all ready is.

p.s he refuses to believe in God but so glad he was prepared to step in and do his brother's reading last week. It was on Jesus raising Lazarus, miracles do happen :)
Amber

Post by Amber »

Just phoned up the Schools Admissions Team and got this interesting information. This year the lowest score for an offer at Tommys was 215 - however, not everybody with a score of 215 got in as there weren't enough slots. They put the names (10?) in a hat and drew out the winners.

Goodness, if that got into the press there would be uproar.
Fancy causing uproar, Cairo?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I knew it had happened before. Denmark road last year, this is the link,

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=10206

and hey ho the question I posed has been answered! So glad I didn't have to be present for the draw as I think it would have truly pushed me over the edge!
cairo

Post by cairo »

Oh dear, didn't mean to set off fireworks. I'm sure this is how it's supposed to work in the case of a draw and they were just following the rules.

Hope I didn't make you feel bad, Tolstoy...that wasn't my intention. Just thought you'd be interested to know - especially as I know how important it was for you for your son to be accepted.

The fact of the matter is that anyone who reaches the qualifying score is bright enough to go, but if there aren't enough places, there has to be some way of allocating the remaining spots.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Not bad just even more relieved that he is in, Cairo, and yes very interested to know.

I do think it is important though for people to know this sort of stuff. I was going to put up a post on the dilemma of appealing.

Some people are still naive enough to accept this one result as being a guide to their child's suitability for a grammar school place or not or, even more scarily, sit twiddling their thumbs on a waiting list that wont move once appeals are heard!

Using the small sample of my own two boys I know it is not.

DS2 who has got his place on the draw of a hat has the better CATs scores of the two. Combined NVR and VR well into the 120's. His NVR score is in the top percentile but hey ho Gloucestershire only chose to test VR which is so not tutor proof.

Pre test he was getting 90's in the Walsh papers and consistently scored higher in practice than his brother. He is not a genius but I have no doubt that he will cope magnificently once he gets to Tommy's.

The point being that this test is a hoop they have to jump through and your child may well not get through it on the day. If you think they should have and you want that school for them then appeal. Even if you are unsuccessful at least you will have given it your best shot.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Have just told DS2 and he is chuffed to know that he is finally a lucky person 8) and big brother can no longer tease him about having all the luck

:lol: