APPEALS 2010

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
EmeraldE

APPEALS 2010

Post by EmeraldE »

Hi there, I feel like a bit of a fraud being on an appeals strand but my friend needs some good advice and has asked me to broach the subject.

Her DD missed the pass for Ribston by one (209). She has been allocated her second choice of local comp.

1. If she puts her daughters name down for Ribston waiting list does she have to appeal to get a place?

2. Can you be offered a place without the appeals process if you have not reached the pass mark?

3. Does she have to turn down her place at local comp and lose it forever should she appeal and not be successful or does her comp place remain effective just incase an appeal fails?

Thanks folks
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

I am sure that Capers will advise on the 1st 2 points-however DO NOT turn down the comp place,as this would be lost forever if they appeal and were unsuccessful

GM
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

As far as I am awar you have to the pass mark to be on the waiting list so would need to appeal before getting on the list.

.. and hang onto the other place otherwise might end up somewhere far less desirable
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

so let me understand this...on the form she was sent today what should she do?

In the space below the offer say you want to be considered for Ribson but accept the comp offer?

Sorry I am not very good at this! Hope I am not confusing the issue! :oops:
Milla

Post by Milla »

I'm not surprised - the form is confusing since it asks you to commit to changing your mind OR accepting the place. Perhaps she should call Shire Hall tomorrow? Does anyone know what the position is at RH at the mo - thinking that if Crypt only offered 90 then maybe (passed on feeble geographical assumption) they did too??
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Yes my friend said the letter said 90 places (or there abouts) were offered at Ribston. What is Ribston's usual capacity??
fruit salad

Post by fruit salad »

There's 4 houses (Danes, Britons, etc.) one form per house of 20 - 30 or so pupils. Sorry, I don't know the maximum, probably 30 but not certain.

If 30 per form, that would be 120 pupils per year 7 entry. Current year 7 has approx 104 girls.
fruit salad

Post by fruit salad »

Forgot to add, wish your friend all the best with their appeal if they decide to go for it (I REALLY hope they will). Friends of ours missed a place in GS by a mark or two last year and didn't get in on appeal.
Find out how many places have been offered at the school of choice first, as timing can be everything (from what I've read on this forum.)
capers123

Re: APPEALS 2010

Post by capers123 »

EmeraldE wrote:Hi there, I feel like a bit of a fraud being on an appeals strand but my friend needs some good advice and has asked me to broach the subject.
We don't discriminate (I spent 1/2 the afternoon discussing discrimination) - happy to help anyone.
1. If she puts her daughters name down for Ribston waiting list does she have to appeal to get a place?
As she didn't pass, she can not go on the waiting list - that id only for those who have reached the pass mark. She will have to appeal.
2. Can you be offered a place without the appeals process if you have not reached the pass mark?

No. There is no way that the school can offer her a place, as she didn't pass the test.
3. Does she have to turn down her place at local comp and lose it forever should she appeal and not be successful or does her comp place remain effective just incase an appeal fails?
She MUST accept the comp. No two ways about it. Otherwise she could end up with no school come September - as all comps in Gloucestershire are now full.

Sorry - that all sounds a bit negative (result of doing training for a different kind of school appeal all day).

Let's be more positive. If it's true that Ribston have 30 spare places, then the schools rep at the appeal will do all they can to let the panel know that they would be happy to take children who have not passed as long as they are bright enough.

I would strongly encourage your friend to appeal, as long as they can produce evidence as to 1) why their daughter didn't do as well as she might on the day of the test, and more importantly 2) that she would be suitable for a grammar education, by providing evidence of academic ability (past SAT scores, predicted KS2 SATS, CATS, anything from the current school, Ed Psych reports if needed.

And the hall at Ribston has got great acoustics!
Capers
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Thanks so much Capers, that has clarified the situation :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now