Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

WorriedSick

No Offer At All

Post by WorriedSick »

Is anyone else in my postion? What to do please. I truly am worried sick! :cry:
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Did you submit your CAF ontime? Have you tried ringing the Admissions department for your area?
capers123

Post by capers123 »

How many options did you fill in on your CAF? Were they all for selective schools, or did you put a 'reasonable chance' non-selective as well?
Capers
WorriedSick

Post by WorriedSick »

Yes. I made my application online. Got a letter from the council saying no offer of any place. Had selective and non-selectives on the form. Wondering if anyone else is in this position. What to do.... No have not called Admissions office. Will do so tomorrow. From anyone's experience, are they helpful?
A Very worried Mum

Post by A Very worried Mum »

Dearest WorriedSick,

I am so sorry to read your message. I have not had good news today either unfortunately. We were successful at our 11+ appeal - yet we have been offered a Secondary School. I am back to being 'A Very Worried Mum'!

In addition, I am unsure whether this information will ease your pain but 10 children out of 28 in my Son's class have not been given a school allocation at all. It all seems a bit of a 'mess' to me. We have also had a few very surprising allocations.

I am unfortunately unable to guide you with regards to why there are so many 'none-allocations' but try and find reassurance in that you are not alone. This is 'only' the first round of allocations and things move significantly between now and 2nd & 3rd round allocations. Please keep hopeful.

I wish I could be of more help to you.....

You are in my thoughts.

AVWM
Amber

Post by Amber »

Is this legal? I thought every child had to be offered a place at a secondary school somewhere. Are there any legally qualified or minded bods on here who could advise? I would get on to you LEA first thing tomorrow and keep hassling them until you get an answer. If no joy - go to the press!

Best wishes - poor you. :(
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Yes, the LA will have to find a place.
Etienne
WorriedSick

Post by WorriedSick »

AVWM, thank you for your kind messages. It does help ease my pain somewaht. Also thanx to others for suggesting getting on to the LEA. My worry is that my DD may just be shunted into the local comp which is no good at all. I think my best bet may be an appeal...no?
WorriedSick

Post by WorriedSick »

Etienne, I have sent in some background info about my sitaution to the appeal box. I would like to have some advice about what my chances are for the appeal that i want to go through. Whether i should even be considering it. I am not very objective right now hence the appeal for help. I know what i would like for my DD and know what she would like for herself. Whether or not this is realistic given the circumstances, i don't know. Your advice would be much much appreciated.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

It's not unknown (but is unusual) for online applications to go astray. Whilst we're recommended to print out the screen having filled it in, it's not possible always to do so (for instance, if you're in a library).

I'm told that last year there were a few appeals in Gloucestershire where the online application was lost for whatever reason (could be systems / software error, or user forgetting to hit the 'submit' button). I think that the panels looked fairly sympathetically at them (I didn't do one of these myself).

It could also be that all the schools are 'full' and you just fell in the gap between them - ie not close enough to any of the non-selective schools. It does occasionally happen, and it has to be sorted out by the LEA. For instance, they might find a place at a school 20 miles away, and offer a taxi each way... At which point an appeals panel for a local school might just raise an eyebrow and decide that it's much more sensible to allow a place at a local school rather than have the council forking out a small fortune in taxi fares!

Anyway, you're in the right place for advice.
Capers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now