KEGS - do they take any GCSE's early???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Alexandra

KEGS - do they take any GCSE's early???

Post by Alexandra »

I am not bothered either way and obviously a very long way off, but just curious really if the boys take any GCSE's early as I know they do in some other schools.
kegsteacher

Post by kegsteacher »

For some time now about half take Statistics GCSE in year 10. From next year they will take their main modern foreign language (French or German) in year 9.

It's important to remember that education isn't a race and that when universities look at their results they won't say "Well, he got a B but took it when he was 14", they will simply see a B and move on to the next candidate!
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

kegsteacher wrote:For some time now about half take Statistics GCSE in year 10. From next year they will take their main modern foreign language (French or German) in year 9.

It's important to remember that education isn't a race and that when universities look at their results they won't say "Well, he got a B but took it when he was 14", they will simply see a B and move on to the next candidate!
Morning, kegsteacher

After reading some other threads from this forum. I'm a bit concerned if the lower grade will affect/ disadvantage the child's chance of getting in a good/ top university in the future.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=12868

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=13363

What are your views on that? Thanks in advance
kegsteacher

Post by kegsteacher »

First of all I'm not an expert on university admissions and this is only my opinion!

I'm not sure that the best universities pay an awful lot of attention to GCSE scores, except that they want to see strings of As and A*s. If someone is applying for a modern languages degree and they got a B at GCSE then that would raise eyebrows but would certainly be dealt with in the reference and the personal statement. It would be an extreme case anyway.

As I understand it the rationale is that many of the year 11 students (GCSE year) are rather demotivated in languages and that the onset of shrugging and grunting as communication means that they perform less well than they did in year 9. They receive an intensive (eight lessons per week) course in years 7 and 8 in a single language and take the GCSE in year 9. It'll be interesting to see the results next year!
GibsonES335

Post by GibsonES335 »

My son is in Yr9. They do much of their RE work this year and complete the exam at the end of Yr 10. - I'm not sure I was paying enough attention at the recent parent's evening, but it's something along these lines.
KB

Post by KB »

If they take the GCSE in year 9 but want to take the language at A level what do they do in years 10 & 11?
moved

Post by moved »

From what I remember, when I may not have been paying utmost attention as DS is not following standard route, they move on to AS in yr 10 or pick up the other language.
Chai

Post by Chai »

Is it true that those who do not perform well in Y7 are advised to leave the school thus paving the way for new students on the waiting lists to enter Y8 :shock: ? This is what I hear about grammar schools, not just KEGS alone. Would be really grateful for official confirmation. Many thanks all.
moved

Post by moved »

I've never heard of this, I have heard of one child who was struggling at Southend leaving, but that was parental choice. Boys at KEGS do have to score enough in their GCSEs to stay for VI form, but this would seem normal.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Chai wrote:Is it true that those who do not perform well in Y7 are advised to leave the school thus paving the way for new students on the waiting lists to enter Y8 :shock: ? This is what I hear about grammar schools, not just KEGS alone. Would be really grateful for official confirmation. Many thanks all.
I find this very hard to believe. I am afraid it is part of the urban myths about grammars.Certainly most schools would work with a year 7 to improve.
The only girls who have left CCHS in the years I have had contact have moved or left at the sixthform entry point.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now