Anyone from Herne Bay offered a place at Barton Court?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fairie

Anyone from Herne Bay offered a place at Barton Court?

Post by fairie »

Hi all, have been lurking on this forum since before dd took the 11+ last year, she passed nd have just got our offer email through.
Although we put Barton Court as our 1st choice, and Simon Langton as our 2nd we have been offered Herne Bay High, which dd is distraught about, our fault, we were sure that she would get a place as we were told by headteachers that last year all children who put the schools down as first choice got plces.
Does anyone else live in Herne Bay and got a place at Barton Court? We live central Herne Bay and wondered if we were just simply too far away. :(
We are going to appeal, but as both schools are very popular I dont hold out much hope.
jingle

Post by jingle »

Yes, we got BC, but we have a sibling there. Always worth appealing for a place, especially with a pass. I can't understand what is going on with the Herne Bay offers. Seems that some who passed who put Grammars first but the High School on but at the bottom have been given it anyway. Don't despair! We got in a few years ago on appeal with two high vr and nvr but a fail in maths
fairie

Post by fairie »

Yes we did, looking at some of the posts about putting comps on the CAF I wish I hadnt, but surely it shouldnt make a difference as it is the school who allocates the places, and they arent meant to know who else you have on your list....apparently.
this is what I have been told.
SSM

Post by SSM »

Looking on the 'other' web site, I don't think it made much difference this year if you put a comp on the CAF.

It seems that KCC havc changed track form last year and have allocated children with 'close all ability schools' rather than GS which are miles away.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

fairie wrote:I wish I hadnt, but surely it shouldnt make a difference as it is the school who allocates the places.
Dont beat yourself too hard, if you read one post there is another mum in your areas who put all gramma schools and didnt get any.

If you have the courage the only option now is to make an appeal. Having read the post here it seems people in East Kent were badly affected this year and makes me wonder why there is talk of moving places from East to West....Maybe one group of parents is more vocal than the other :cry:
Quarrydene

Post by Quarrydene »

Hi Fairie,
We live in the Hampton end of Herne Bay and we put Langton Boys 1st, Barton Court 2nd, QE 3rd and Chatham House 4th. We got Chatham House - which is an excellent school so don't want to appear to moan. It seems that the Canterbury grammars were quite hard to get into from Herne Bay this year - although someone from Herne Bay did post today to say that they got Barton Court and had also put it first. Very sorry that you've been so disappointed. Will keep my fingers crossed that you get what you want at appeal.
jingle

Post by jingle »

I am wondering If you meant my post from earlier. We got BC, live in Herne Bay and put it as first choice. However forgot to mention in that particular post that we already have a child there which is probably the only reason we got offered it. Sorry for any confusion guys!
fairie

Post by fairie »

Hi all, thanks for the replies, and words of encouragement! we really needed them this evening, and Im feeling a lot more like it wasnt anything I had done (or not!)
We are going to appeal, dd needs good pastoral care, which we didnt feel she would get at some of the schools we looked at, BC has such excellent pastoral care and also has dumped Alevels in favour of the IB it really tipped the vote for us...hey ho, bring on the letter.
Wish us luck!
jingle

Post by jingle »

Can absolutely say that we have been so pleased with our daughters progress at BC. She has grown so much in confidence and we have found it to be a happy sociable place with great teaching. I sincerely wish you all the best with your appeal. Sounds as if you have a very good reasons for choosing it, and hopefully this will come over at your appeal. You must not feel bad about your CAF choices, probably made no difference anyway.
Blakesmum

Post by Blakesmum »

fairie wrote:Hi all, thanks for the replies, and words of encouragement! we really needed them this evening, and Im feeling a lot more like it wasnt anything I had done (or not!)
We are going to appeal, dd needs good pastoral care, which we didnt feel she would get at some of the schools we looked at, BC has such excellent pastoral care and also has dumped Alevels in favour of the IB it really tipped the vote for us...hey ho, bring on the letter.
Wish us luck!
HI Fairie we're in the same boat, DS also got HBH.
A freind that lives nr chislet was given Chaucer tech and so was another boy that lives in Herne Bay.
It seems to me this year is the start of whats to come for Herne Bay kids.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now