Urmston Review

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

feelinsad

Urmston Review

Post by feelinsad »

Can anyone help - I am getting terribly confused and worried.

From my previous thread - my daughter failed UGS and we followed the procedure and went for a review by the "Schools Admission Review Body". This was rejected. Does this now mean that we are unable to appeal to the IAP? If so are we able to argue the same points that we
raised at the school review.

The evidence we submitted regarding the extenuating circumstance was read but they seem to have missed the point or perhaps we didn't explain it too well as there refusal stated no evidence of lack of concentration on the day.

Tnx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi - I thought you were happy with the allocation of Stretford Grammar ? Has something changed?
feelinsad

Post by feelinsad »

Hi
Yes I am glad that she got a place at Stretford - this being the only test that she passed, and our 3rd preference.

However we live nearer to Urmston and due to domestic circumstances (too long winded and perhaps self pitying to go into) and my daughters prefernce - She wanted to go to Urmston.

Perhaps I am being selfish and ought to be glad that she was allocated a place, when there are DC who passed but haven't been allocated the school they deserve.

I just feel that I have to do as much as I can for her.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi Feelinsad

I cartainly wouldn't call your circumstances self pitying, you are as brave as a lion. :D

As you know we did the UGS appeal thing last year, but didn't have the HT appeal before. I'm pretty sure that you can still have the independent panel appeal as well which is completely different.

Send the form off and you will get a pack which will have wording about why they can't admit any more etc etc and info about non qual, will also show you as an appeal number on a list. Don't let it put you off! At this point I should be able to help you.

TMX
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

fs

Sorry meant to include this

Extract from the UGS site.

Should you be unsuccessful in your application you are entitled to appeal to an independent appeal panel. The school however does most vigorously oppose all appeals particularly where our maximum admissions number is exceeded and appeals force class sizes in excess of 32 on the school. We regard the educational impact of larger class sizes on children to be quite unacceptable.

The appeal panel will check that the published admissions arrangements have been correctly applied; they would then consider the individual case brought by the parent.
I know of a couple who got through and I am familiar with what happens on the day
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

sorry - I see the problem! - you have one GS but it wasn;t your first choice - that's fair enough

good luck with investigating the appeals process.
caz

Post by caz »

hi feelisad do know how places stretford had and they have all filled
caz

Post by caz »

hi feelisad do know how places stretford had and they have all filled
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now