Getting hold of a copy of the child benefit letter

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Daogroupie

Getting hold of a copy of the child benefit letter

Post by Daogroupie »

So my pathetic approach to admin has finally caught up with me. And now I need to get a child benefit letter to DAO by Thurs. Any tips for the quickest way to get it and why is it that one they want? They don't seem to have checked where we live in years?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

seems odd! There is no legal requirement to claim child benefit - (just a bit odd if you don't..). If it is address there are plenty of other things like NHS card / letter from HMRC ....
Charl39

Post by Charl39 »

My guess would be with the trend for parents "splitting up" and one moving to a new rented address before Oct and then "getting back together again" at the original address after the start of term, the Child Benefit letter would show which parent was claiming it and therefore which address was the child's primary home. I guess people wouldn't think to change that, just the usual council tax/electoral roll/utility bills. Sounds like one more additional check to prevent people fraudulently gaining places, have to say that's a good idea.

Try this link for help on getting proof

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAnd ... /DG_073779
Charl39
Daogroupie

Thank you so much charl39, it takes three weeks!

Post by Daogroupie »

Charl39 you are a life saver. I just called, it will take three weeks so I will have it in time for my Y5 sibling! So I wont have it for Thursday. Hmmm. Nothing I can do about that. I will have the other two, Council Tax Statement and Utility Bills? Is 2 out of 3 enough? Certainly wasnt on the exams! How did I miss this? I have been an absolutely groupie on their website. It was a sort of comfort blanket when I was feeling low! I thought I could recite the admission arrangements in my sleep. Is it new this year to try and catch out the temp renters perhaps? I feel a grovelling call to our Debbie coming on.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

do you have it paid into a bnk or building society? Could you show them the statements? or print iff something from teh Govt Gateway?

I do sympathise, I am dreadful at filing things properly (hence my blind panic come tax return time :oops: )
Daogroupie

Govt Gateway

Post by Daogroupie »

Thank you Yoyo, what is the Govt gateway and where do I find it? Yes I will take the proof that I get it with me but it does not prove where it is paid to which must be what they want. I can see they are trying to catch people out and I am sure it works!
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Child Benefit letter is used as proof of parental responsibility for the child for whom the application is being made. Below is a quote from my council

Common Application Forms and Online applications will only be considered when proof of residency and parental responsibility are received and clarified.

The address given must be the child's permanent residence at the date of application (11 January 2010).

Proof of Residency:

•Current Council Tax statement
•A current utility bill (gas, water or electricity) at the application address.
Proof of Parental Responsibility:

•Child Benefit entitlement letter dated within the last 12 months showing the child's name at the same address.
•Copy of child's birth certificate - full version.

Ask if they will accept an old Child benefit letter (if you have one) and that you will submit the current one as soon as you get it.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Forget that..... Government gateway is more for form filling online. It was direct.gov I was thinking of.. :oops:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I wonder what they do if you opt not to claim child benefit?

... after not everybody wants their children's whereabouts kept on a government database.
Sally Herts

Post by Sally Herts »

I hadn't even registered that you needed a child benefit letter til I saw your post :shock: Thank goodness it wasn't me sitting the exam.

I also can only find one dated 2008. I rang the phone number on the form (0845 3021444 for anyone else in the same predicament.) They will send out a new one, but they are very busy with similar queries at the moment... so it will take up to 15 days.

I'll send in my old one in the meantime, I guess. However, it doesn't have the children's ages or even full names.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now