Cut off for KEGS and CRGS 2010

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
essex-mum18

Cut off for KEGS and CRGS 2010

Post by essex-mum18 »

Just rang CSSE on behalf of a friend.

The lady kindly told me that the cut off point for KEGS is 176 (ranking) and 346 ( s. scores). CRGS is 128 (ranking) and 338 (s. scores)

May be useful informations for some parents.
happydaddy

Post by happydaddy »

I don't quite understand that, did she mean that the final position re KEGS was 176 with a score of 346 and the final position of 128 with a score of 338 at CCHSG only I didnt think KEGS took 176 and a friend of mine's daughter sat at a lot higher and got a place however the girls school probably did take 128 this year. Sorry just a little confused on her cut off numbers.

would you be a able to explain further.

thanks.
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

happydaddy wrote:I don't quite understand that, did she mean that the final position re KEGS was 176 with a score of 346 and the final position of 128 with a score of 338 at CCHSG only I didnt think KEGS took 176 and a friend of mine's daughter sat at a lot higher and got a place however the girls school probably did take 128 this year. Sorry just a little confused on her cut off numbers.

would you be a able to explain further.

thanks.
Hi

I understand the cut off point for KEGS is usually in 150s, this year, the last one in indeed is ranked 176. I asked this twice and the CSSE lady confirmed it.

The school I mentioned was not CCSHG, it is the CRGS (boy GS in Colchester). Hope this makes sense.
happydaddy

cut off points

Post by happydaddy »

Yes thank you, my mistake I didn't realise you were referring to he Colchester Boys School.

Sorry and thanks for your quick reply.
TP123

Post by TP123 »

Not sure it matters at all - but for comparison: does anyone know the cut off score for KEGS last year (and previous years)? A friend and I were wondering why the cut off rank is low this year and how the cut off score is lower as well.

Like I said, not that it matters - just a "know how".
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I dont know about previous scores but variation in the level of rank offered has to be down to the number of children making multiple grammar school choices. If everyone only picked one GS and put this as the first choice then the lowest rank offered would be the admission number for that school. People seem more prepared these days to let their children travel long distance in order to get a prefered school and so are putting multiple GS on their CAF. This pushes the rank down as many children ranked are not first choices and have already been alocated their first choice school.
chelmsford dad

im a bit puzzled aswell

Post by chelmsford dad »

im not complaining though as we got in kegs on 146 , im assuming for example very bright boys in colchester maybe went crgs then kegs and the same for southend or westcliff putting their local school first , but looking at the standardised scores needed to get into each school surely they would have never got into kegs in any case this way as with the score needed for that to happen they would have got their first choice :?
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Agreed. There doesn't ever seem to be any point putting KEGS as a back up choice.
Lots of people however use CRGS or southend/westcliff as back up for KEGS.

My DS who is at CRGS has several boys from chelmsford in his class.
KB

Post by KB »

In the case of CRGS I'm guessing they are just being extra cautious since it is possible that there could be a reverse situation where the cut off for CRGS is higher mark than for KEGS.
Or it could be that parents just look at the ranking cut off & assume that means its easier to get into KEGS.
Or they could, quite reasonably, not have any such information & simply be putting the school they prefer as their first choice & the other as their second choice (maybe just because it is further away).
There are still lots of parents who dont really understand the 'system' when they are filling in all the forms. Non of the official information tells them 'its not worth putting KEGS as your second choice'!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

This is just my observation from watching the forum for 3 years now.When my eldest got into CCHS 3 years ago (Chelmsford), it was rarer to have entrants from east London boroughs.
Now it seems entirely common to have classmates from Havering , Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham and Newham.(My year 7 daughter at CCHS has several) It seems to me more and more london borough families are naming Chelmsford schools as back ups.I believe they have more choices on their CAF.(three years ago it was 6.Essex has 4)
Don't blame them at all and not a criticism.
So I think of the 176 ranked for KEGs and those naming CCHS, many were parents who had also named Woodoford or Ilford grammar schools higher up on their form.
Compared to other years there seems to be about 40 parents who had named other schools first.I believe these are London borough parents who have extra choices but who ultimately opt for the more local school if given the chance.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now