Talk to me about appeals....

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
katel

Talk to me about appeals....

Post by katel »

OK - I am trying to get my head ready for Friday. My daughter is a clever girl - but she is not exceptional. She is sporty, musical - a good all rounder, and she is predicted to get level 5s at year 6 sats. She got 5,5,4B at the optional year 5 sats. She sat the 11+ confidently, but feeling that there was a good chance she wouldn't make it, and came out saying that she felt she had done her best. My question is, if she fails the 11+ is there any point in appealing? Or should we just spare ourselves the hassle and go for the high school? Ironically, it's not for the academic side in particular that we want the gremmar school, it's the music. The high school has no choir or orchestra - the grammar has two of each! We have no extenuating circumstances at all. Are there ever any other grounds for appeal?
Jed

Post by Jed »

I suspect the decision to appeal, if it comes to that, will be influenced by how close your daughter got to the pass mark. As Etienne is always saying, the closer the mark, the less explanation you need to give.

Regarding the music, where are you based? Most counties have a music service with orchestras and bands at various levels open to all students. Could your daughter not become involved in this? I know several families around here who have very musical children. A couple of the children have progressed to national youth orchestras using this county route.

Jed

Post by Guest »

as Jed said if she only just misses out , there's not much else to do but appeal on the grounds of academic reasons.

Miss by many and you should probably forget the appeal and focus on a local Orchestra to enable her to develop musically...

We are all in the same boat... there's winners and losers...

It's a cruel way. But what else is there.

good luck
katel

Post by katel »

I know - it's a hideous system.The trouble is, I just can't imagine what I'd write in an appeal letter - she is georgous and your school would be a better place for having her in it? Yeah, right..........!! Thank you for all your advice about music - we'll look into all that when and if..... As a matter of interest, do people ever win appeals based on no extenuating circumstances, just on well, if she'g got a few more marks she'd have got in so how about it?

Post by Guest »

People will get succesful appeals based purely on academic reasons.

If she only just misses then you have a good chance... Not 100% but a good chance...People have failed appeals with everything in their favour...
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi,

Perhaps you could let us know which part of the country you are in - I'm sure if you post more details someone will help.
katel

Post by katel »

We're in Kent - not the scary "first past the post " Tunbridge Wells sort of Kent, but the marginally less scary "pass and you're in" Canterbury sort of Kent.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now