Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cathy bird

HELP NEEDED FOR EMBARRASSED TUTOR!

Post by cathy bird »

:oops:
Okay!

I need help!

I cannot understand how to do the following verbal reasoning questions - and I am training myself as an 11 plus tutor!
So, yes - this is embarrassing indeed!
ON THE OTHER HAND- HONESTY IS NEEDED
However! Surely there is a key - I haven't found it yet!

First puzzle - How do you do the CODE QUESTIONS - I MEAN HOW DO YOU APPROACH THEM?
Second Puzzle - How do you work out the COMPLETING LETTER SEQUENCE QUESTIONS?

Is there a helpful soul out there who can point me to a book or to some form of advice?

Here's wishing . . .

Yours

Cathy Bird
decoder

embarrassed tutor

Post by decoder »

if you cannot work out simple codes you should not be offering your sevices to some poor unsuspecting child. the child is under pressure as it is,never mind having a tutor who cannot work out what to do . its not just showing children what to do its also knowing the system
hoopjumper

Post by hoopjumper »

Oh. And I thought that I was not qualified to help my child....... people pay money for this? Sorry if this appears to be rude, but re-read your post from the position of a parent who is thinking of paying for your services.

I think Athey (I'll check if I get time to re-research) does a free booklet on all types of verbal reasoning tests.

Coach or Tutor?

Post by Guest »

The comments you have received so far have been a little unfair (a tad self-righteous). Your ‘honesty’ should be appreciated, if not, viewed more positively.

Try Bond Assessment “How to do Verbal Reasoning” and “How to do Non-verbal reasoning”. Bond’s tests are the most challenging in my (or rather my child’s) opinion.

I’m coaching my child at home and not necessarily for financial reasons. Who could possibly be more dedicated than I am? It does get rocky at times (I’m a perfectionist), but we’re getting there – his first test is less than a fortnight away!

I think if you have a fairly bright child and you’re a confident parent who is prepared to do the groundwork/research/preparation etc., then why not. If things get too stressful……… delegate!

Good luck to us all!!!

Post by Guest »

You are being too fair (IMHO) to someone who (if you were paying someone to tutor your child) would claim to be an '11+ tutor' and take your hard earned money to tutor your child from a book that they are only a few pages ahead of your child in.

How is this opinion self-rightous? we all have to learn somewhere; but not with my money and not with my childrens education!

There, you've got me all worked up over nothing...happy? :wink:

Post by Guest »

I’m not prepared to play tit-for-tat. I suggest you re-read (and interpret more accurately) Ms Bird’s message. Note the words “I am TRAINING myself……”.

Naturally, I suggest you do this when you are in a calmer state.

Post by Guest »

re-read in calmer state; I also do not want to play tit-for-tat, I have my views (and from the 2nd post so does someone else) and so do you. Thankfully we can all express them here on this forum. My position is biased (as is yours in the alternate?) towards not liking 'gravy trains' of any sort - 11+ tutoring is a 'gravy train'.

So to reitterate:

"and I am training myself as an 11 plus tutor! "

This implies a bent towards charging for services.... if it had read:

"and I am training myself so that I can tutor my child!"

I would have inferred that this was a parent in need of help, and not someone getting in on the lucrative market of tutoring for an entrance exam.

Perhaps you will allow the original poster to practice tutoring 'free of charge' on your child? I am sure that the tutoring will be effective for one of them.... but which one?
cathy bird

Post by cathy bird »

Wow! Wow! Wow!

I can't believe the ferocity of response to my rather innocent attempt to be impeccably honest and to look for some help.

If I didn't have a long history of more than twenty years of extremely successful teaching and tutoring behind me, I would be very, very upset.

I thought this was a forum where people could and would help and aid each other.

I would be very grateful if those who jumped so swiftly to the attack would have at least the simple courtesy to read my next posting where I will actually reply to the specific accusations.

Thanks in anticipation

Cathy Bird

Post by Guest »

waiting......

20 years of teaching and tutoring and can't do simple decodes?

Sorry that was uncalled for.

Post by Guest »

Further to my earlier post, and apologies to Athey... hope they don't mind:

For booklet (Verbal Reasoning Tests Explained):

http://www.athey-educational.co.uk/samples/free1a.htm

For key to unlock the booklet:

http://www.athey-educational.co.uk/admin/form4.htm

I found this most useful... I hope that you are able to solve your decodes with this guide.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now