error with test paper - please help!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
unfair

error with test paper - please help!

Post by unfair »

I have sent some background information to the Appeals Box so please could anyone help me with my enquiry.
Thanks in advance
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Hi there Unfair.
There are very few moderators who can view this information. I would imagine that it won't get looked at until at least tomorrow.

I see that you have already started a thread in the Appeals section. Please don't start a new thread each time you post about your situation, it's a good idea to have everything in one place

Ed's Mum
unfair

Post by unfair »

Ed's mum wrote:Hi there Unfair.
There are very few moderators who can view this information. I would imagine that it won't get looked at until at least tomorrow.

I see that you have already started a thread in the Appeals section. Please don't start a new thread each time you post about your situation, it's a good idea to have everything in one place

Ed's Mum
Hi Ed's Mum.
Sorry I am not familiar with the ins and outs of this but slowly getting the hang of it. I am aware that only a few moderators will see the info in appeals box. I will however provide some general info for the other forum members. Here goes:
On the day of the test, my dd realised whilst undergoing the test that her test paper had duplicate pages and several for this matter! This completely threw her and left her confused and unable to finish that particular section of the paper as time ran out. She then raised her hand to report the error at which point the invigilator looked through her paper and acknowledged the error and asked her to carry on and complete the last two sections of the paper as he confirmed these were in order. She did as she was asked but clearly did not perform to the best of her ability as she was in panic mode and too worried / confused to be able to concentrate. This inevitably would have led to forced errors for the last two sections.

After the test, the invigilator took her paper to the moderator who then logged it as an incident on the day. I spoke to her who confirmed there was duplication errors in my dd's paper and advised I contact the Foundation Office on the next working day. This I did and followed up with a letter of grievance. I was sent a response by the Foundation office who again confirmed the error and then went on to partially deny liability as over half a million pages were printed making it physically possible for them to check every page. I was told that procedures are in place to try and identify any errors that may have slipped through the net during their initial stage of random checks. One of these procedures were that their printers use a machine to count the pages within each booklet. The aim of this is to check teher are no mossing pages but clearly my dd's paper did not have missing pages ut several duplicated pages. A final procedure is at the expense of the child about to take the test, this being:

* recorded instructions asking the child to go through the booklet
page by page along with the tape, which are apparently at a steady
pace and trialled beforhand to ensure it is not too fast for
nervous children unfamiliar with such a test environment. Clearly, these proved to be too fast for my dd who only managed to
get halfway through her booklet at which point they were asked to
close paper. They reinforced that this page-turning procedure has
been most effective over the years and on this day did identify
three papers with an error which was quickly addressed

The Foundation office has stated that this incident has been most unfortunate for my dd but refused my request to let her re-sit the test to prove her true ability, on the basis that she has already seen the paper. They continued to say that it is not possible for them to determine at what point during this nine minute section she identified the problem and can therefore not take this into account on this or latter sections. They have merely apologised for the problem and stated that no re-sit is allowed and they cannot take this incident into account at marking stage. I was told to wait until LA allocated places in March and should my dd not gain a place at her preferred school, then an independent panel will be able to take into account the events my dd faced on the day. I was asked to contact them again in March if I require details on the appeals process. This I have done.
Gman

Post by Gman »

Do you know by how much she missed the pass mark by, and how many marks were allocated to the duplicate section?
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Hi,

I'm not a moderator, so also can't see the appeals drop box info. I do sit on appeals panels (not in your area).

The Foundation Office acted correctly in that they can't try and adjust the score to make up an unquantifiable number of marks. The only people who can take that into account are independent appeals panels.

I think you're certainly doing the correct thing in launching an appeal, and I personally would give quite a high value to this evidence. I would ask to look at the actual papers and answer sheets (if separate) and see how well your daughter was doing before she hit the problem pages to convince myself that she was doing well at first before panic set in.
Capers
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear unfair

An appeal panel will certainly take into account what has happened, but you should inquire about the success rate for appeals to the school in recent years to get a realistic view of your chances.

You have no legal right to see the test papers as they are exempt from the Data Protection Act. The Foundation could, at their discretion, allow you access, but it is entirely up to them. If they refuse, you could try asking specific questions (e.g. exactly how many pages were duplicated).

You ask whether the schools at which your daughter has gained a place will have a bearing on the appeal. The appeal panel at an own-admission authority school is unlikely to have this information. I assume you're thinking of telling them in the hope that it will add weight to your appeal. It might possibly impress them. However, there is the risk they might think - albeit at a subconscious level - "this child already has some good offers, so there's no pressing need for a place here!"

I assume you will have to appeal not only against the score achieved but also against oversubscription.

You will need as much academic evidence as possible. See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b11

For the sort of arguments needed when the year group is full, see:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... ers.php#c2

I'm afraid I cannot help with regard to which school you would stand the best chance at.

You ask whether you get to see the school's submission beforehand. Yes, details of the school's case will be sent to you at least 1 week before the hearing.
Etienne
unfair

Post by unfair »

Dear Ettiene
Thank you for your advice and information provided. I have enquired about success rates and how many pages were duplicated, with the school and awaiting a response. I have also had some guidance from your colleagues Sally Anne and KenR to whom I will be responding tomorrow with further stats, in order to establish how marks convert to raw scores etc. This will determine the feasibility of appealing.
I was hoping to include evidence for the other successful places gained by my dd but did wonder whether this would add any weight or simply hinder. It seems the latter is more likely. It does appear to be a catch 22 situation whichever angle I take it from and so unfair!
Thank you again and I will keep you posted.
Unfair
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Unfair

I have written some notes separately which Sally Anne will forward.

I have a suggestion that you may wish to follow which would determine whether the incident had a material impact on the result or not.

Before going into detail, I first need to explain the mechanics and scoring of the B/Ham KE Exams. These were covered in the B/ham post Sticky:-
There are 2 papers. Both papers contain NVR, verbal or numerical elements. All of the questions in both tests are consolidated into either an English/VR, NVR or Numerical classification and marked. The raw scores are then converted into 3 standardised scores for each respective category and then Age Standardised. (See article on Age Standardisation linked from the home page of this site).

The actual number of questions may vary year by year, but in 2005 for example there were 100 Eng/VR questions, 82 Numerical questions and 70 NVR questions.

The 3 Age Standardised Scores are then added together to give a total composite score. You can see, for example, that the minimum composite pass score was 347 for Camp Hill Boys in 2005 - this was the lowest total score for the last child to enter the school in Sept 2005. This is equivalent to an average Age Standardised score of 116 for each of the categories. (3 x 116=348). Obviously 347 (or 348) is the key and you can achieve this via a variety of ways e.g. 107+ 112+ 129

An Age Standarded score of 116 is equivalent to about 86th candidate percentile for each particular paper. ie 14% of candidates taking that paper achieve a score of 116 or higher.

For typical 11+ exams, the maximum standardised score is usually 140, however for the KE exam set by the Univ of Durham I understand this can be higher. The minimum is 70 and the average (50th percentile) is 100.
Given that there were 2 papers and presumably only 1 had duplicate pages, then it should be possible to analyse the respective NVR, VR and numercal section scores between the 2 papers and see if there was a significant difference that would have impacted the final score and result.

I don't know which paper had the duplicate pages, but if it was say the 2nd and the duplicate incident had a major effect on your child then you would observe major differences in the form of significantly lower percentage of coirrect scores on the 2nd paper which would justify your position.

If on the other hand there was no material difference in the proportion of correct answers for each respective section between the 2 papers then this would indicate that it would have made little difference to the result.

Suggest you contact the Foundation Office and formally request that the Office contacts the Univ of Durham CEM centre and requests an analysis of the scoring patterns between the various sections in your child's respective papers to confirm or not whether the duplicate pages incident had a material impact on her result.

We can discuss further actions after the investigation.
unfair

Post by unfair »

Hi Ken
Thank you for the information and advice provided which is most useful. Sally-Anne did forward me your original comments to which I have responded. I assume this has gone back to her private email section so please could you touch base with her as I have provided some further details re scores for my DD in the hope that you may have further advice to offer.
Thanking you in advance
Unfair
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Unfair

I have forwarded that information to Ken. May I suggest that you direct "Birmingham specific" information directly to him via PM where necessary or on here, and "appeals specific questions" to me on here? Ken is in a far better position to evaluate your case where local knowledge is required.

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now