Please come back Guest55

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
999 mum

Please come back Guest55

Post by 999 mum »

Dear Guest55,

If you are reading this please consider coming back - your comments and advice was/is still being greatly appreciated.
ian35mm

Post by ian35mm »

While it might be an understatement to say that I didn't agree with a lot that G55 said about GS, I can completely understand why she might not want to involve herself with this site anymore.

I recently heard a comic talk about his friends' new babies. She said that she'd never met a stupid baby, they were all 'very bright for their age'.

Well, at times this site can be like that. Although there are people who make thoughtful and helpful comments, they can nearly always drowned out by the self-serving, 'no one knows better than me', crowd who hold up their narrow experience against reason and facts, and consistently find reason and facts to be in the wrong!

Debate is all very well, but just because you shout louder doesn't make you right.

An area where I agreed with G55 was the issue of Kumon. It doesn't matter how many educated professionals with years of teaching experience say that Kumon is not a good system to aid the understanding of maths, if your view is that Kumon is great your your DC, then rational debate is not on the agenda.

I don't wish to start another fruitless thread on Kumon or indeed anything else, other than making the comment that G55 was driven away by people who think their opinion is always paramount.

When I disagreed with G55, I'd like to think it was over the interpretation of statistics or educational philosophy, but what you see here over and over again is the victory of the ignorant mob, over the professional.

As I've said, I disagreed with G55, and disagreed over many issues. This forum is the poorer since she left, but like her, I can't see any point in continuing. Feeding the trolls just makes them bigger.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

ian35mm wrote:
I can't see any point in continuing.
:( :( That's sad. I have found this site genuinely helpful to me on some parenting issues.I agree that we have some heated debates at times and I confess that I sometimes join them :oops: .I grew up in a family that liked to argue about "issues" usually politics.I do understand that this can be off putting to some people.
Generally the most heated debates happen in one section of the forum.Can't you just enjoy the rest of the threads.I would feel sad if anyone left because they felt "shouted down". :(

I read this thread because I too miss Guest 55.She was very knowledgeable and supportive to many. :D