Another appeal for travel arrangements advice appreciated...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sweetviolet

Another appeal for travel arrangements advice appreciated...

Post by sweetviolet »

Hi has anyone had their results for Langley or maybe Slough?

My DS has been offered a place at Langley and now we need to sort out travel. Soooo we were wondering if you come in from outside Slough area ie near Hanger Lane/ Perivale/ Greenford / Wembley/ Harrow/ Southall/ Ealing or en route then please let me know or pm me if you are interested in car share or some sort of travel arrangements for the Sept 2010 run?

I don't mind if parents who are already based at the school are interested too. :)

Also if you go to Slough too. Am trying to organise a minibus from ealing - let me know if you are interested.
chad

Post by chad »

From my knowledge (2006) SG has a list that parents can sign up to on the 'welcome evening' to help with travel arrangements from the same area, they then send out a list to all the parents that signed up so that they can contact each other,.... you could ask langley if they run the same type of list.
sweetviolet

Post by sweetviolet »

Hi Chad

Thanks for your support regarding this - we seem to be so far out of the area. Have tried to email Langley and phoned and left a message - no response as of yet.

I am trying various routes / avenues and have contacted all and sundry!

Will keep up with my quest, do not want to let this issue put a damper on what should be a great opportunity for my son!

PS: if anyone reads this and is also going to Langley, some advice would really be appreciated.
pitshangermum

Travel to Langley

Post by pitshangermum »

Hi sweetviolet,

Don't worry about the travel to Langley. We live in Ealing W5 and my son is now in Year 9. The journey is quite straightforward. We drop him at Ealing Broadway station at 7.30 to catch the 7.37 train to Langley. (This is the same train caught by Slough Grammar pupils). Train journey 20 minutes. They pick up quite a few Langley pupils at Hillingdon, West Drayton and Iver so there is quite a large group of them by the time they get to the other end. It is a 15 minute walk from the station and he arrives at 8.15 ready for 8.20 registration. The school is very understanding if they all arrive late because of the train but it is usually a very reliable service. School day has changed slightly and now ends at 3.15. He takes a slow stroll back to the station and gets the 4.00 train. Arrives in Ealing at 4.20 and gets E2 bus back to walk in the front door at 4.35.

Langley is a fantastic school and as my son says, worth the journey. Just heard that his brother has got a place in Year 7 in September so absolutely delighted. Your son can travel with them if he wants.

Happy to look into possibility of taxi/minibus if there are enough numbers from Ealing.
IncaGold

Re: Travel to Langley

Post by IncaGold »

pitshangermum wrote: Langley is a fantastic school and as my son says, worth the journey. Just heard that his brother has got a place in Year 7 in September so absolutely delighted.
Congratulations on your second Langley success. :D Can you share any more info about the school for a mum eager to know more? I've heard the new Head is very strict on uniform. Has he made many/any changes?
pitshangermum

Post by pitshangermum »

Probably too early to comment on new head. But from my point of view a male head could be a real asset. Hilda Clarke wasn't big on sports or school trips. My hope is that Constable will build on the academic success of the school by extending extra-curriculum activities. At the moment there are football, rugby, hockey, cricket after school clubs but these tend to be for the boys who get into the respective A teams so not terribly inclusive. Most schools have B and C squads as well. Hopefully Constable will change this. He seems friendly, open to change and easy to approach. A pilot parent/school forum has just been set up for Year 9 so that the school can get feedback on what we are happy/unhappy with, how Key Stage 3 went etc. Seems to indicate a real change in approach.

Feel free to ask me anything you want about transition to year 7 etc
sweetviolet

Post by sweetviolet »

Pitshanger mum wrote: Langley is a fantastic school and as my son says, worth the journey. Just heard that his brother has got a place in Year 7 in September so absolutely delighted. Your son can travel with them if he wants. Happy to look into possibility of taxi/minibus if there are enough numbers from Ealing.

:D Pitshangermum - Firstly congratulations to you and your second son in getting a place at Langley. Looks like the boys will be in the same year and live so close to each other!! Also GREAT to hear from you!!! We are not so far away from each other!

I have looked into the train option and was planning a trial run a few times with my son so that he could get used to which line to take and get a feel of the journey. Other options I have looked into have been possibley driving him there myself/ car share or maybe opting for the coaches that are advertised on their website etc. Am open to suggestions for travel that can make it easy and enjoyable to get to Langley and back.

I also have a smaller child in year 3 at school, so am trying to work out how I am going to juggle getting two children to school without running up and down like a headless chicken!! :?

I have pmed you some details to contact me, maybe we can discuss this further - I am sure there are other children from Ealing who travel in but are not on this forum.

IncaGold - thanks for your note!
IncaGold

Post by IncaGold »

pitshangermum wrote: Feel free to ask me anything you want about transition to year 7 etc
Thank you! :D What other sorts of clubs are there? My son's not very sporty. Are there any art clubs or science clubs etc? I was also wondering about tutor groups- do they stay in their tutor groups for all lessons or are they all mixed up? Do they have extra provision for more able or less able children? How strict is the school with their homework diary? I'm glad to hear your son loves the school, so far I've only heard positive things!

Sweetviolet- happy to help :D
pitshangermum

Post by pitshangermum »

Hi Inca Gold

Asked son about extra-curricular stuff and he was totally unable to advise as only interested in football! Thinks there are science/art clubs, chess group etc but very vague so I have asked him to find out a bit more. The classes stay in their tutor groups for all subjects until Year 9 when they are streamed for Maths. They stay in their tutor groups for all other subjects.

My son didn't know anyone when he joined the school - he is fairly shy as well - but he made friends quickly. The induction day in July is definitely not to be missed as they are put into their tutor groups and spend the day there getting to know each other. My son was in the middle of a PGL trip that week but we dragged him out for the day and it was well worth it. Means that on the first day in September they know a few faces and names.
IncaGold

Post by IncaGold »

HI Pitshangermum,

Thank for the info. :)
I think the main thing I'm worried about is my son making friends. I'm hoping there will be many like minded children there.

If they stay in their tutor groups for all subjects, do they ever get to mix with children from other classes? Is there competition between the classes?

Thank you for answering my questions, it's so lovely to have someone to ask. I'm one of those mums that needs to know everything!!!!! :oops:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now