St Olave's new boys - meet up?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

long and winding road

St Olave's new boys - meet up?

Post by long and winding road »

Have an idea! :?:
My DS is the only one from his school to get into ST O's and although he's delighted at the prospect, he's also a bit anxious about not knowing anyone else going there.
If anyone is interested, I thought it might be nice to arrange a meet up/day out/picnic in the park kind of thing when the weather improves.
Any takers? I realise that the boys will be coming from far afield but there may be some local boys in the same boat who live in Orpington,West Wickham, and surrounding villages areas of Bromley?
frogsmum

Post by frogsmum »

Well done on getting a place at St Olave's. My son has also been offered a place and they have an induction day in June where all the boys can meet up and familarise themselves with the building.
frogsmum

Post by frogsmum »

oops - just noticed how old your post was. How is your son getting on?
long and winding road

Hi frogsmum - it's a new post and thanks for replying! That's good news - hopefully they will then be less daunted in September. Is your son going too?
frogsmum

Post by frogsmum »

He will be going on the induction day - I think it is very important with a super select school as they really won't know anybody. My friend's daughter who goes to Newstead said it made her feel 100% better when she started in September. Details will be in your induction pack - have you received one yet?
long and winding road

Not yet - I think the offer letter said they would send further info out in May?
That's good to hear - am going to stop worrying! Well done to your DS too - is he excited?
frogsmum

Post by frogsmum »

Just checked the offer letter and you are right - it does say May. Not usually this dizzy - think the stress/excitement of the last week have mashed up my brain. My son is very excited with a little bit of wariness thrown in. He is very aware that a lot will be expected of him but he is delighted to be going to a local school with fantastic opportunities. What about your DS?
long and winding road

Ditto - he's delighted! - Skinners was the one we thought we'd be going to because we thought St O's would be harder to get in even though it was our first choice. I heard over 1000 boys took the test this year for St O's!!
Skinners is also a great school but for us it is a very long trek and Orpington is just a few miles away and on a bus route so it really is the best outcome for us. I have heard only great things about it and we were very impressed on Open Day - hardly dared to believe that he might end up there!
It's almost a week since we got the results and we are still pinching ourselves!
frogsmum

Post by frogsmum »

I know what you mean - we were prepared to get The Judd and it was only when we found out he'd got St O's that I realised how much the journey was worrying me. It's now only a ten minute bus ride which means he can leave at a sane hour in the morning and will have plenty of time at home for school work and leisure time. We fell in love with the school when we viewed it but it felt too much like the Holy Grail and at no point did I picture my son there. Now that I can it feels surreal.
long and winding road

If only everyone had such a positive, happy outcome. I really feel for parents still in limbo on waiting lists and appealing.
Maybe we'll meet up at St O's - will you be the green mum, hopping about and saying "ribbit ribbit"?! :lol: :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now