What is all the fuss about?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
American Pie

What is all the fuss about?

Post by American Pie »

In 1960's we American's taught a chimpanzee to fly in an Apollo spacecraft, and now in 2004 we have one running our country! So why is it that you Brits get so worked up over some exams? :?:

Post by Guest »

hmmm... to reply to a troll, or not....

Anyway this brings a question about why we do this to our children. My daughter didn't really understand the 'why' until we went on some school visits; amazing increase in her speed, accuracy and willingness to work at the preparation after we saw the local Grammer'.

So what does this mean? not a lot really apart from my conclusion that there is no tutor out their who will work unless your child wants to suceed. Also on seeing the 'nearly as good as a Grammer' schools I can't help thinking that maybe we should scrap Grammer schools and include streaming in normal schools so that all can benefit from the chance... after all if a normal school gets an overload of 'bright' pupils they can increase the size of the stream unlike the strict entrance numbers that the normal Grammer' has. Just a thought.

BTW, The Apollo space missions were not flown by chimps, several other programmes used chimps, but not Apollo. American revisionist history... discuss :)

Post by Guest »

Surely you must mean Grammar

last post

Post by guest »

Don't be so petty !

Post by Guest »

May be petty, but rather important to be able to spell when entering for a grammar school test . . .

Post by Guest »

Your right you know...... after all I didn't go to Grammar... but I would like my daughter to go, and get the education I never had :)
Tracey

Scrapping Grammar schools

Post by Tracey »

the idea of scrapping grammar schools has been applied in lots of areas and all I can say is you would not think it such a good idea if it happened in your area and the only way you could get an equivalent education for your bright children was to pay for it, as we have to do!!
Anonymous wrote:hmmm... to reply to a troll, or not....

Anyway this brings a question about why we do this to our children. My daughter didn't really understand the 'why' until we went on some school visits; amazing increase in her speed, accuracy and willingness to work at the preparation after we saw the local Grammer'.

So what does this mean? not a lot really apart from my conclusion that there is no tutor out their who will work unless your child wants to suceed. Also on seeing the 'nearly as good as a Grammer' schools I can't help thinking that maybe we should scrap Grammer schools and include streaming in normal schools so that all can benefit from the chance... after all if a normal school gets an overload of 'bright' pupils they can increase the size of the stream unlike the strict entrance numbers that the normal Grammer' has. Just a thought.

BTW, The Apollo space missions were not flown by chimps, several other programmes used chimps, but not Apollo. American revisionist history... discuss :)

Post by Guest »

I didn't say it was a good idea, it was just an observation on what I saw... and in an ideal world it should work...

However we don't live in an ideal world, and my daughter sat the 11+.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now