Tiffin Boys- Bus coach

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

exam2010

Tiffin Boys- Bus coach

Post by exam2010 »

Hi Everybody. My DS got admission in Tiffin Boys. We have to shift house from Harrow to near by Hunslow/Isleworth. I need information about bus coach from Hunslow & Isleworth going to Tiffin Boys school. Please advice me location from where bus coach can be catch. Alternately, how is public transport bus 111 or 281 for Tiffin school? Please advice. Thanks.
Bilu

Tiffin Boys-Bus or Coach

Post by Bilu »

Hi Exam 2010, congratulations on your DS getting admission. I am in a similar dilemma, as my DS start Tiffin in September. I understand there are several boys who travel to Kingston by the 111 bus from Heston, being close to Southall/Norwood Green-takes around 40 mins. My DS former tutor organises a mini-bus from Southall/Norwood Green to Tiffin girls, but am not sure whether it goes onto the boys school. I shall find out in due course. My DS primary school classmate has also attained a place, and we are in discussion with his parents on available options, further there is an additional boy all from the same primary school who is on the waiting list.

Perhaps any other new boys beginning in September from the locale could post and we could jointly arrange for a cost effective mini-bus. Currently, a figure of around GBP 40/week/pupil is what my DS classmate parents have informed me are the costs. A little excessive, maybe other solutions are available.
exam2010

Post by exam2010 »

Bilu,
Thanks for information. In due course, we will try to organise coach.
I am not much aware of Heston Area. Can you advice which is better & safe
area in Heston or near by where I can look for house. Thank you.
partygirl

Post by partygirl »

Hi,

We live in Heston and my DS in now in U6 at Tiffin, having been there from yr 7. The journey to school I am afraid takes longer than 40 mins, it takes around an hour. DS catches the 111 bus between 7.05 -7.10 from Cranford Lane in Heston so it would be a couple of minutes later from St Leonard's Church for those coming from the Norwood Green area. The next bus which is around 7.20 -7.25am will not get DC to school on time.

Coming home DS gets in around 16.50.

Boy directly across the road from me gets a private coach to Tiffin, this coach goes before 7am and the coach gets back way after 17:00, adding even further time to the day. Personally I don't think it is necessary to organise a private coach if living in Heston or Hounslow as the bus service is pretty good. The only time that the service is slow is when the Hampton Court Flower show is on, boys do get home later due to the extra traffic around Hampton Court.

You may want to consider setting up a car share home on the days that the boys go to Grist's (Tiffin's sports fields) to do PE. Grist's is close to East Moseley and although the boys are taken to Grist's, they to have to make their own way home. It is a long walk back to Hampton to connect with the 111 bus,

exam2010, will reply to your pm.

Post by Laurrie »

Congratulations on your children getting in to Tiffin, well done to them.
Now can I have a polite grumble?
Without meaning to offend anyone. Heston is miles away from Tiffin why on earth would you want your poor children to leave home at 7am to get to school!
We live a ten minute walk away from the school so we are local, yet my DS is on the waiting list (quite low down) so I don't expect he will gain a place. he did well to get a very good score, and Tiffin is our nearest school. I pay my local council tax, I am envolved with kingston based charities, and I work in Kingston. It doesn't seem right that a child from miles away who did marginally better than mine gets to call Tiffin his school. quite frankly it makes me want to up sticks and leave the area.
That said, I still think your DS did well to pass, but there must be a limmit to how far we should send our children to school everyday.
Sorry to have a moan :?
Bilu

Post by Bilu »

Hi Partygirl, much obliged for the information it is much appreciated for posting. Personally i favour the bus route too, but my DW would like see our DS travel by coach mini-bus, at least for the first year. Moreover, i believe the private coaches are not cheap. I would favour a car share scheme, if other are interested- not sure how it would work!!
Laurrie, this distance from Heston is not so great, under 9 miles i believe, obviously the traffic contributes to the journey, around an hour or so. I am sorry to hear your DS predicament. I agree if local schools were good, then parents wouldn't make so much effort in getting their kids into good schools further afield.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Hi exam2010, congratulations to your DS.

Since you have to move in order for your DS to go to Tiffin every day, why don't you make the most of it and actually move near the school? I appreciate it is not in the cheapest part of London :shock: but there are affordable places much nearer than Hounslow and Isleworth. That way your son would not have a long journey and you would not have the travel costs.
mad?
partygirl

Post by partygirl »

Bilu,

I think that you will find that after a couple of days travelling to school on the bus your DS will be fine. When my DS first started at Tiffin, I accompanied him to and from school on the bus for his first day. He turned round and told me that he wanted to travel on his own from from now on. I was in a similar situation with my DD who is in yr 7 at Slough Grammar and she has to catch 2 buses to and from school. Previous to my DC starting secondary school they were transported everywhere by car and had never travelled on public transport on their own. DC make friends pretty quickly on the journey and they get used to the transport system far quicker than we give them credit for.

Post by whichwitch »

Well put Laurrie, why on earth would you apply from Harrow to go to school in Kingston? If you are planning to move to be nearer then why not move to Kingston and pay your council taxes here? I am well aware how good Tiffin is and I am also a Kingston resident but like Laurrie's son my son just missed out. I know it may sounds like sour grapes but it really does make me mad that our bright children are being denied a place in favour of children from miles away. We all want the best for our children but there has to be a limit surely?
runningmum

Post by runningmum »

I can't believe I'm reading posters who are seriously in favour of an arbitary catchment area! I am a 'local' parent and my children go to the Tiffin schools with both local and less local friends. I also know of many parents who have children denied a place at Sutton schools because they live on the 'wrong side of the road'. ie. they are out of catchment when their friends, who have scored far fewer marks in the test, have been offered places!

Remember, it should be a parent's right to choose where to send their child to school and also how long their consider a suitable journey. They can also choose to move closer to the school if they wish, solving any perceived problem with the journey. What is less easy, is for a parent to raise its child's IQ to a sufficient level so that they can thrive at the schools. This can be very hard for a parent (local or otherwise) to accept.

As you can tell, I am very anti-catchment areas as in my opinion they reduce choice and opportunity.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now