MTS costs involved

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mommy

MTS costs involved

Post by mommy »

hello all. Have been following discussions for the past year or so but finally got in with a question! DS is on the waiting list for local grammar but has got firm offer from MTS - no bursary. We would have to really stretch to get him in here but are trying to work out the sums at the moment. Any parents of children already at this school, like us, paying the fees, but with considerable efforts - could you please let me know what other costs are we looking at yearly including uniforms, extra-curricular activities, trips etc. With all the facilities on offer - things like sailing or fencing, do all the children get a chance? Would he feel left out not even probably having one holiday a year when all about him are jetting off to 3 a year?! HELP am going round in circles in my head over this :?: :!:
Feeley

Post by Feeley »

Fingers crossed that you will be offered the Grammar school during the waiting list movements over the next couple of weeks. Would you accept it if offered ? If so, that sounds like an ideal solution.

Also have you already committed and paid the deposit to MTS yet ? Remember, many of the children will be in similar situations - there will be many that won't be taking 3 holidays a year too.....
mommy

Post by mommy »

no haven't paid deposit yet. We are wary of this too because in addition to forfeiting a £1000 deposit, apparently we would be liable to the first term's fees?!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I wouldn't worry mommy. There are so many parents in the London area who struggle with fees and in this climate especially I doubt the holidays will be as extravagant. There is a good social and cultural mix at MTS.
KB

Post by KB »

There is info on a different thread about deposits/first term fees but its worth checking because often first term fees are only payable from the start of the Summer term. So it could be you would 'only' loose the deposit.
I don't know the school you are refering to but at most Indies there seem to be a mix of families, many not having smart holidays etc.
Indies do provide opportunities for expensive trips etc but I dont think you would be in the minority in not sending your child on them.
A word of caution though - we didn't have any background of fee paying schools & were shocked by the annual increase in fees - we were slightly 'protected' by DC having a partial scholarship but it still hit hard.
Maybe things are less bad these days with lower inflation but please do be careful if your sums are tight at the moment.
Hopefully the GS option will come through for you.
mommy

Post by mommy »

Thanks all you guys for your encouraging replies.

Any of you have any experience of MTS - did you have anyone there T.I.P.S.Y?

Would really appreciate if a current parent could tell me what activities are included and the average costs of those that are not.
zorro

Post by zorro »

I have a son in an indie not far from MTS and the' extras ' are what you have to watch out for. This can be uniform items especially games kit :roll: that gets lost, school trips, (DS going on ski trip in 3 weeks time @ cost of £1090),music tuition etc.
Also fees go up from Y9 by nearly £3000 per year from £12000 to £15000 :shock: at my son's school so check if the same applies at MTS.
With regards to exotic holidays, I haven't heard of any of my son's friends going anywhere special - even the really well off ones, so don't worry too much about that.
At my son's school uniform costs were fairly modest , books and school lunches are included in fees.
Another thing to watch is coach fares if your DS will be travelling that way - I think it is about £500 per term.
mommy

Post by mommy »

Thankyou Zorro. This is what worries me - all the other costs creeping up on you!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi - I agree with KB - the fees seem to increase more than inflation and it can really add up. OK if you are likely to be able to afford more in the future but just be aware of it.

I know I have quoted this before and these are primary level termly fees, but they are an example of how it can increase:

1997 £750 school 1
2004 £1250 school 1
(rising to 1500 in 2005)

2005 £1750 school 2
2007 £2250 school 2
kentonmum

Post by kentonmum »

Hi there just read your post about MTS, my son is there, he is in his third year. I can not fault the school whatsoever. He loves and it offers him so much, he could be busy every night of the week if he wishes to be. There are activities he can take part that do not cost anything such as Gym, Fives tennis etc. However there are other activities that you will have to pay for and its a call you have to make. There are boys there of a mixed and varied background, as you can imagine. There is pressure to go on trips and as a parent you do not want to have youir son not being able to go on any. Hoever this will depend on what his friends do. The uniform is expensive and every term they play a different sport so you have to take account of that and buy the kit as necessary. Fees do go up. Also take account of any coach costs that you may incurr. Desiste all this we would not change a thing and would pick MTS any day..... even if we have to remortgage or downsize!