Don't despair!

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

CCHSsmiley

Don't despair!

Post by CCHSsmiley »

My DS and DD have both taken eleven pluses , and been offered places at first choice. Both got very high English results with DD getting 41/50! I have some vital tips for the English which will help you and DC.

Go over word list, find out ones they know and get them to find meanings of others. Do spelling tests of them.

Check their basic grammar skills, go over them so your child/children know the skilss.

Buy a Bond comprehension book at their age then the one above. These test all types of skills and are very good :D

Nearer the test do past papers with them under test condintions this will give you a good idea of how they might perform.

Get them to read classics and ask challengening comprehension questions, this will strecth them and make them extra-prepared for difficultiy.

Good luck, hope I helped.
sobharamana

Re: Don't despair!

Post by sobharamana »

Many congratulations!!!!

Thank you so much for the valuable tips.
wizard

Post by wizard »

My DS english scores on practice papers were lower than his VR and math scores, so we did lots of work over half term on english. His english scores then jumped up considerably and we were both feeling pleased he had cracked it. Last night he settled down to do his penultimate english paper and to my horror, his score was terrible.

I am now in a dilemna as to whether to brush it off as a one off blip or whether to panic and go full steam ahead back to full on english revision again. We only have two weeks to go and I was hoping these last few tests he is doing would give him the confidence for the real thing.

Any words of wisdom would be gratefully received.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Wizard, I'm sure someone will come along with more experience than me but, just wanted to say, I am sure that, as the exams approach, the nerves are starting to kick in. Exams start next week in my neck of the woods and there are a lot (A LOT) of anxious mums and kids around at the school gate. Being tired and feeling slightly panicky makes one easily forget what one has just recently learned. Perhaps just go over what you have recently learned together (assuming that he was making some of his old mistakes?) and/ or give him an easier paper, to boost his confidence again?

Wishing you all the luck. Try and stay calm and positive (easier said than done, I know) because I'm sure your son needs you more than he is showing right now. And we are here to support you too! :)
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I would do another one straightaway and see if it was just a really hard paper. Was it a comprehension or a grammar paper? Confidence is really important at this stage so make sure you keep really calm and reassuring DG
moved

Post by moved »

I would assume that it is a blip. Tell DS that it was an extremely hard paper and he did really well to achieve such a high score. At this late stage do anything to boost his confidence.