Bond Books for Maths

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

littlemissfavored

Bond Books for Maths

Post by littlemissfavored »

I have been using the Bond books for Maths and they are really great.
We've gone through the 2nd, 3rd papers and are currently on the 4th.

I think will will stop here for 11+ as 5th seems to be above the 11+ Level (please correct me if I am wrong).

I was wondering about the Bond The Parents' Stress-free Guide to the 11+ and How to do 11+ Maths are they worth getting?

I couldn't find anything on these in the book review section....

Thanks in advance.
mattsurf

Post by mattsurf »

I agree with you about bond books - however, don't rely 100% on them, my DS worked out the "bond" format, there is a pattern to the way that they ask questions. My advice is to mix it up with some other material for that extra bit of variety

As far as maths is concerned, level 4 covers the syllabus, although I would also advise you to consider the level 5 books, as they add a bit of extra challenge - remember the paper is likely to have a couple of really challenging questions in there somewhere

As for English and VR, I would say that your DC should have covered level 5 and more level 5 as this is about the level that they will find in the 11+
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

You may want to try the AE tuition maths workbooks for variety, They have book 1 to 6 and cover up to keystage 3 so no need to know everything. I now just use them to work on problem areas. They are handy when you come across a stumbling block. I also have the 10min maths daily practise by IPS too. It has 6 short question daily but its great in that you will be able to identify week areas your child has.

I just skimmed through Bond The Parents' Stress-free Guide to the 11+ and didnt find it that much useful. Its stuff I know already.

The how do do 11+ maths is definately useful and you get some quick tips in there too
Impossible is Nothing.
dadofkent

Re: Bond Books for Maths

Post by dadofkent »

littlemissfavored wrote:
I was wondering about the Bond The Parents' Stress-free Guide to the 11+ and How to do 11+ Maths are they worth getting?
No;Yes.
Chai

Post by Chai »

Ditto Dadofkent.

Peter Robson is another one to try.

We preferrerd Peter Robson over AE. We have the complete set of AE's but only used the one on data handling in the end. We relied on Peter Robson alot. IPS are also v good.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Chai wrote:Ditto Dadofkent.

Peter Robson is another one to try.

We preferrerd Peter Robson over AE. We have the complete set of AE's but only used the one on data handling in the end. We relied on Peter Robson alot. IPS are also v good.
I agree about IPS, and for VR as well.
Chai

Post by Chai »

Just to clarify about Peter Robson's books. It does contain stuff that you probably won't need, like matrices and vectors. It even has a section on Pythagoras' Theorem. However, my daughter found the format comforting. It is set out pretty much like AE's, as in you would get a whole load of sums on percentages, or averages, or ratio etc etc. I think if you bought Peter Robson without understanding what is needed for the 11+ exams in your area, you might end up over doing it or not having enough time to cover everything.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

one of teh best things you can do is get tables and mental arithmetic up to super speed..

Quite often teh papers use fairly simple "sums" as part of a problem. When you know tables etc back to front and sideways, number combinations often jump out at you..eg 27 and 3 in question ...divide by 9 would be an obvious option
Chai

Post by Chai »

yoyo123 wrote:one of teh best things you can do is get tables and mental arithmetic up to super speed..

Quite often teh papers use fairly simple "sums" as part of a problem. When you know tables etc back to front and sideways, number combinations often jump out at you..eg 27 and 3 in question ...divide by 9 would be an obvious option
Funny you should say that....my daughter did alot of the backwards forwards stuff and times tables up to 25 (then 30, 35, 40 and 50 times tables) with Kumon...and I thought it was a waste of time but we did it anyway....maybe there is some sense to the backwards and forwards thing for timestables then.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

definitely..
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now