King Edward birmingham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

King Edward birmingham

Post by Guest »

The King Edwards Foundation in Birmingham is a law unto itself as far as entry to their schools is concerned. However, I am told that it no longer uses only Verbal and Non Verbal in their tests. How can I find out what tests a child will do? I don't feel that I can pump other people's children for information to help my own child (ie, the ones that sat last November). I have heard that there is a comprehension and some Maths, but this is only hearsay.

any information gratefully received!!

king edwards birmingham

Post by guest »

My son sat the entrance exam for KE birmingham last November. There was 6 sections. Maths, Non-verbal reasoning, proof reading, verbal reasoning, comprehension and I think the last one was literacy skills!!!!
We had done plenty of papers so that he was ok with timed conditions etc.. He came out of the exam saying that none of the prep we had done was of any use at all!!! The Maths was easy, he believed he could have answered every question correctly, the problem was time. They were given 25 mins to do 50 questions. We still don't know whether he has a place or not. Good Luck with the prep you're doing with your child. The whole process with King edwards foundation was extremely stressful.

Post by Guest »

I already have one child at the school in Kings Heath and I must say, that if your child is only average, then they will seriously struggle when they get there, if they get in. Some children in my child's class have to have special lessons outside class to help them with their maths, etc and they feel like real dunces even though they are probably not.

If your child doesn't get into the school it probably doesn't really matter as they would have struggled there anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I think the school is great and my child loves it, but there are so many disappointed children each year. They shouldn't be disappointed, as they should feel that if they had have got in they would have struggled. The work is seriously difficult if a child is not up to it - there is a culture of achievement that can be damaging if a child cannot achieve they way that they feel they should.

Post by guest »

Thanks for your response, the problem I have is knowing what "average" is compared to my son. His Maths is, I think strong, but he is my eldest child and I have no marker to go by! He is currently achieving level 7 in his Maths when using the KS3 SATs papers. Is that average for Year 6? I find it hard to believe it is. Your comments are valued, I don't think any parent would want their child to struggle or feel out of their depth. If that is the case with my son then I would prefer him to go to our local comp and retain his confidence.

Post by guest »

Thanks for your response, the problem I have is knowing what "average" is compared to my son. His Maths is, I think strong, but he is my eldest child and I have no marker to go by! He is currently achieving level 7 in his Maths when using the KS3 SATs papers. Is that average for Year 6? I find it hard to believe it is. Your comments are valued, I don't think any parent would want their child to struggle or feel out of their depth. If that is the case with my son then I would prefer him to go to our local comp and retain his confidence.

Post by Guest »

Thank you for your information guest number 2. I hope you are successful at getting your child into the school.

Post by Guest »

i was reading your posts with interest as my son is going to take the test this November and I am looking for any information I can get!!!! Is the test looking at National curriculum maths? Someone I spoke to (these tests are all gossip and hearsay) said that they need to understand equations and year 7 stuff. Is this true? Or are they looking for an ability to understand wordy type problems. My son will only be 10 and 3 months when he sits the test and it seems so young, but he is a bright boy who does well at primary school. However, I don't know if he could solve simultaneous equations!!!
Guest2

King Edward exam birmingham

Post by Guest2 »

The only advice I can give you, is based on my experience with my son. He has just found out that he has a place at his first choice KE camp hill. Firstly don't worry about the age of your child. The KE foundation standardises the marks based on the age of the children before they compile their ranking list, so your sons young age won't go against him. In my sons experience there was no algebra in the test this year, but he was more than able to solve simple equations by the time he sat his exam. The competition for the KE schools in birmingham is huge! We are not talking about simply passing an eleven plus here. 1/4 of the children accepted are from outside of birmingham, they are very popular schools. We used the bond assessment papers for our practise. We started in July with the age 9-10 papers progressing to the 10-11 papers in September. Then the last 2 weeks before the test we used the multiple choice 11+ test papers. As a guide for you my son was scoring 85% to begin with and by the end he was averaging 90+%. With the exception of the non-verbal reasoning where he usually achieved 100%. I don't know where he was ranked on the schools list, so I can't tell you if this is average or not! He is expected to achieve level 5's in his SAT's this summer if that's any help. Give it a go! You won't know if you don't try. Any other questions Just ask. Have you been round any of the schools yet? It is easy to see why they are so popular. They really are in a league of their own. Good Luck

Post by Guest »

I do not know the specifics re your entrance exam, but the CSSE maths paper is not far of year 7 standard as far as I can make out. My child took the 11+ last November and she is only now covering some of the content (and she is in an 'extended' maths group at school, i.e. 5+ expectation, a few years ago when such things were possible this would mean a level 6 at KS2).

Get some past papers if you can and go over the content to decide..... I found that the KS2/3 study/practice papers were sufficient for actual practice, and cheaper.

Post by Guest »

Sorry, but what is the CSSE paper?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now