12 plus (" Where there is a will, there is always a way

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amazing

12 plus (" Where there is a will, there is always a way

Post by Amazing »

We are gradually moving from denial to acceptance. As my DD did not qualify for SHSG by 7 point, my first instinct was to appeal (which we are still considering but not sure if we have the energy - i have only just started sleeping again since march 2nd .) However we have decided to look at the option of the 12 plus and will appreciate if anyone could offer some guidance on this i.e. recommended tutors (PM on this will be highly welcome), how to prepare and what is required. My DD wants to give it another go and I suspect it’s a case of wanting it more now that it is looking elusive.
maymum

Re: 12 plus (" Where there is a will, there is always a

Post by maymum »

Amazing wrote:We are gradually moving from denial to acceptance. As my DD did not qualify for SHSG by 7 point, my first instinct was to appeal (which we are still considering but not sure if we have the energy - i have only just started sleeping again since march 2nd .) However we have decided to look at the option of the 12 plus and will appreciate if anyone could offer some guidance on this i.e. recommended tutors (PM on this will be highly welcome), how to prepare and what is required. My DD wants to give it another go and I suspect it’s a case of wanting it more now that it is looking elusive.
Hi Amazing, I can sympatise fully with you on this one particularly with SLEEP. Have you rung Southend to see if your daughter is one the waiting list she could be......I rung and was surprised to find my DS high up the waiting list for WHSB. I have heard of 12+ indeed somebody I know daughter got into WHSG this way but it was a few years ago now, so it can be done but as to where you find out about this I can only assume try the Consortium again to see if they can give you any info.
Amazing

Post by Amazing »

Many thanks maymum, I did contact Southend and was told that since my DD missed the pass mark of 303, she does not qualify for the automatic waiting list rather she will be on the waiting list that requires a test before entry. i.e. the 12 plus. I will contact the Consortium as you adviced, for more info.
stressedmum!

12+ entry

Post by stressedmum! »

Hi amazing, i know what the lack of sleep is like!! We are now in acceptance after big disappointment. DD o.k. now and is very happy with the school she is going to. Not heard of 12+ entry to consortium schools. Is that something that is possible at the other schools e.g. Chelmsford & Colchester. Does anybody out there know?
Chelmsford mum

Re: 12+ entry

Post by Chelmsford mum »

stressedmum! wrote:Hi amazing, i know what the lack of sleep is like!! We are now in acceptance after big disappointment. DD o.k. now and is very happy with the school she is going to. Not heard of 12+ entry to consortium schools. Is that something that is possible at the other schools e.g. Chelmsford & Colchester. Does anybody out there know?
There is not really a 12+ as such in the same sense as the 11+.
This 12 + refers to the occasional vacancies that occur throughout the years.I have two daughters at Chelm CCHS and the current year 9 has had 4 vacancies since yr 7 and the current year 7 has, I believe, one likely soon.
You have to get yourself on the waiting list and the school will contact you re any vacancies.Your child will then go and sit an exam with the others.I know someone who did this in year 8 for KEGs and the test then included modern languages and science as well as the usual VR, maths and English.There was one vacancy and about 30 boys took the exam.
Hope that info helps a bit.
KB

Post by KB »

CRGS take 4 boys (I think - certainly very few) into Year 9 - seected by their own exam similar to that described above.
stressedmum!

Post by stressedmum! »

thanks for help
NOTLEY PARENTS

Post by NOTLEY PARENTS »

Is the DC automatically on the waiting list throughout the year even though they are at another school or does the parent have to request their DC stay on the list just in case a vacancy arrises over the year? I ask because a friend of my DD has not quite got in.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

NOTLEY PARENTS wrote:Is the DC automatically on the waiting list throughout the year even though they are at another school or does the parent have to request their DC stay on the list just in case a vacancy arrises over the year? I ask because a friend of my DD has not quite got in.
Last year the waiting lists remained in place until Sept and then you had to ring the school directly to stay on it.
However I would definitely advise your friend to ring the LEA and ask them.Things change.It may be different this year.
moved

Post by moved »

SHSG informed a parent that they will test on English, maths and science for late entry as and when places become available. However, last year when three places became available almost immediately I believe they used a version of the 11+.
The last place that I know of had approximately 30 applicants. I would advise that you keep DD going on the preparation work, but at a low level. Have you considered the private schools in Southend or Brentwood? They can offer good bursaries.