Anyone know any schools likely to have Y9 places for Sept?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

LazyDaisy

Anyone know any schools likely to have Y9 places for Sept?

Post by LazyDaisy »

My friend's ds didn't get into Trinity or Whitgift at 13+ and now, it appears, Royal Russell and Caterham are full.

Nightmare situation for her!!! :( She is happy to look at schools within reasonable travelling distance but which ones might have places? Does anyone have any ideas? :(

I told her I'd ask you lovely folks and see if there are any experts out there!!!
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Where does she live?

Reigate grammar
Epsom college
Ewell castle
Box Hill school-don't know much about it but friends are just moving their ds there to start in year 9.

I suspect the top two don't have places. This year group overall seems very large with not many places.
Sorry can't think of any more, but if I do I'll let you know
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Thanks surreymum - she lives in South Croydon (stupid me for not mentioning that before! :shock: ).

I agree that this 13+ year seems to be have been bigger than usual. She has spoken to Ewell Castle but I will tell her to try Box Hill - thanks.
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

St Dunstans

Also Emanuel is close to Clapham Junction and has a 13+ entry on which there may be some movement. They decide in the Spring terms whilst most of the CE schools decide in the summer.

Being a bit cheeky, but if the childs school cannot come up with ideas the schools that turned him down will know his level and who else is in the local "market". There can be a fair degree of transfer between schools and they do know each other.

Also get out the railtrack journey planner and see if Eltham College is feasible?
catcool

places for year 9

Post by catcool »

I appreciate as you have posted under the indie section your friend may not be interested in state schools.
However Wallington Boys school a state grammar school has admission for a few places for sep 10 into year 9. I attach and extract although fear it may be too late and they say the testing is done in jan/Feb but she could
give them a call

Entry into Year 9

Pupils at this School commence their GCSE studies in Year 9 and smaller teaching groups are then created. This reorganisation allows a 13+ entry of between 1 and 10 places. Testing for entry into Year 9 will usually take place in the January/February prior to the September of entry.
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Lots of suggestions! Thanks. :)

Her school haven't been fantastically useful I have to say. It has been an odd year and Whitgift and Trinity haven't gone to their waiting lists as they usually do so I think her headteacher is in a state of shock!! Her ds is not the only one in his year without a place - horrible situation.
pepys

Post by pepys »

Our school has a number also of 13+ pupils without places. I know Emmanuel offered 30 boys out of 60 applicants for 15 places. They assumed a 50% acceptance, but said if they all accepted they would have to create another class.

Not sure what happened this year. I think some are now going back to look at Ewell Castle and Claremount. This is the first year in about 8 years that 100% of the boys have not received their 1st choice schools.
psycho ward

Post by psycho ward »

Hi Lazydaisy. I have been reading these forums since the entrance exams, but have finally found someone in exactly the same position as my son and I.
Do tell your friend that she is not alone. My son was also on the waiting list for both Trinity and Whitgift - and we pulled out of Caterham exams having received interview confirmation from both schools thus assuming an offer would be a dead cert (bearing in mind my son is a talented musician!)
Wickham Court school was mentioned to me at the weekend. Tried to ring them today but got no answer. Fees look incredibly reasonable and I know someone whose son has just started yr 7 and loves it.
If your friend is looking towards Box Hill, the Duke of Kent school (Peaslake) now has places to 16 and is well thought of in the local area.
Also looking further afield at Rochester Independent college (right next to station which has a direct line to bromley) .
If your friend comes up with any other good ideas I would really like to hear. Maybe all those on the Whitgift/trinity waiting lists could set up their own school!!??
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Psycho ward - I am so, so sorry you are also in this position. I have no idea what has happened this year - what happened to the recession? I would have expected more places this year not fewer.

Rochester would be a bit of an ordeal to get to for her ds. Another mum at her school (also in the same position) has been to Wickham Court and really liked it - as you say, the fees are a bargain compared to other schools!!!

Setting up your own tutor group would probably work! :)

I'll let you know if she hears back from any schools. Fingers crossed.
pepys

Post by pepys »

Psyco Ward - We had also been convinced of our DS2 getting a place at Whitgift 11+ following a confirmation of a recommendation at interview. We didn't follow up on any other schools for DS2 and like you we have no school at present. The likelihood of him getting a place at 13+ would be slim which is why we entered him at 11+ so that he would have a better chance. Even after offers were sent out and we were told he was no 12 on the waiting list we were told that he should have an offer shortly. However they closed the waiting list early. We are disappointed to say the least.

We now go back to the drawing board looking for new schools. Does anyone know anything of St Dunstans?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now