Help please!!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

katty55

Help please!!!!

Post by katty55 »

Help!!! My son's position at WGSB's waiting list is 22 (academic list).
What are his chances??
He is disappoited and desperate to get in. He is very bright boy, always on top group for both maths and literacy. I did not prepare him for 11+ tests. He only had 4 hours tutoring in Octobe 2009 and practices Bond papers (11-12+), October and November. He did not qualify for second round at QE, missed by 3 points (scored 207 ( NVR + VR ), needed 210), but he only had 1 hour tutoring on NVR and practiced 4 papers by himself.
I don't like the school he's been allocated!

I totally feel that I let him down for not preparing him properly!
Any advice very wellcomed!
busybeenfun

Post by busybeenfun »

Do you mind me asking what school you have been allocated? Is it one of the other SW consortium schools?

If you know what his consortium test score is then you will be able to look on this site to see if he would have qualified for an academic place at St Clement Danes, Rickmansworth or Queens. If he had then consider contacting these schools to be added to their CI lists.
katty55

Post by katty55 »

busybeenfun wrote:Do you mind me asking what school you have been allocated? Is it one of the other SW consortium schools?

If you know what his consortium test score is then you will be able to look on this site to see if he would have qualified for an academic place at St Clement Danes, Rickmansworth or Queens. If he had then consider contacting these schools to be added to their CI lists.
busybeenfun, I have sent you a PM
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

I wouldn't feel that you have let him down, there are examples of people getting places without preparation and also examples of people preparing their children (in the top sets) for over a year and not getting a place.

Although not the news you want there will only be a very slim chance of getting a place at Watford Boys if you are 22 on the waiting list. I don't know if you are in the inner or outer postcode area for the school. The school allocates 27 academic places for the inner area and 18 to the outer area. They hold separate CI lists for each area and therefore it would mean that even if you were in the inner area a considerable number of people would need to decline a place and/or remove themselves from the CI list to stand a chance.

Probably best at this stage to focus on other options and also get on the CI lists of schools that weren't originally on your CAF.
katty55

Post by katty55 »

mushroom wrote:I wouldn't feel that you have let him down, there are examples of people getting places without preparation and also examples of people preparing their children (in the top sets) for over a year and not getting a place.

Although not the news you want there will only be a very slim chance of getting a place at Watford Boys if you are 22 on the waiting list. I don't know if you are in the inner or outer postcode area for the school. The school allocates 27 academic places for the inner area and 18 to the outer area. They hold separate CI lists for each area and therefore it would mean that even if you were in the inner area a considerable number of people would need to decline a place and/or remove themselves from the CI list to stand a chance.

Probably best at this stage to focus on other options and also get on the CI lists of schools that weren't originally on your CAF.
Thanks mushroom, my son scored 241
tense

Post by tense »

Katty55

Please don't feel that you have let your son down. 241 is a very good score. According to WP's sticky you could be at the top of the waiting list for Ricky, Queens & Bushey Meads & practically top for Clement Danes.

You don't say what your allocated school is but the schools I've listed are all good & worth a look.
quest4gs

Post by quest4gs »

Hi Katty 55. Don't blame yourself. Your DS seems bright and he will do well on any school. You don't know for sure if DS definitely will not be offered. If worst comes to the worst and you don't like the school he will be studying. Is there any local good schools that offer 13+? You can do some research and you can start preparing your son when he is in year 7, if he is willing to try!
Best of Luck !
andypandy38

Post by andypandy38 »

Hi Katty

I have only just seen your post, so hopefully you had some good news in the second round earlier this week.
I am assuming you are on the outer area list for Watford as my son scored 247 and is 16th on the list - or he was last time I checked just after allocation day.
If you haven't done already, get him on the CI list for Clement Danes as he missed getting a place there by only 1 mark in the first round. My son did get a place in the first round at CD, although he is likely to give it up for someone in the next round - it was his third choice and this week he got offered his second. Watford was his first choice but at 16th on the list for 19 places I don't think there's much chance of him getting in. Let us know where your son ends up. :shock:
dd01

Re: Help please!!!!

Post by dd01 »

error
andypandy38

Post by andypandy38 »

It just goes to show that QE and SW Herts Consortium exams are completely different. My son also scored 207 in the first round of QE boys but got a place at Clement Danes. The QE first round is just VR and NVR whereas the consortium schools exam is maths and VR. I know my son is great at Maths, not so good at VR so its probably the Maths that got him a CD place, whereas Maths is not tested at QE until round 2....if you get that far!