thomas boy

217 appeal?

Post by thomas boy »

Have sent message to appeals box to clarify help needed
Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks for your message.

In the situation you describe, I see no problem in asking the class teacher for supporting evidence. If for any reason he/she is reluctant to get involved, ask the chair of governors to intervene and advise.

Some evidence (such as school reports, school work) you might be able to compile yourself, if it's appropriate. See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b11
Etienne
thomas boy

Post by thomas boy »

Thanks for that - it is very reassuring.
I have however sent a further update to the appeals box.
Alex

Post by Alex »

If your teacher is unfamiliar with writing a report with evidence to support a non-qualification appeal it might be useful to look at the form which used to be sent out to headteachers in the past - PM me if you would like me to get hold of one for you. The factsheet on "Appealing for a Grammar School" available from the Choice Advisers also lists the evidence and other things that teachers/headteachers might comment upon.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Glad to hear that the class teacher is more than happy to help.

He/she may not be familiar with what is required, so Alex's suggestion above is helpful.

The most common mistake is to stray away from academic evidence/extenuating circumstances, and to make comments such as "super monitor" or "fantastic on the sports field"!

Bearing in mind that current circumstances at the school are unusual, I think you need to bite the bullet and make clear what is required. The degree of support is obviously a matter for the teacher's professional judgement, but if he/she wants to woffle about extracurricular activities, or 'character', I suggest you intervene!
Etienne
Alex

Post by Alex »

Have sent you a PM
thomas boy

Post by thomas boy »

Many Thanks for both replies - all very hepful.

Will bite the bullet as you say and move forward from here.
Regards & Thanks again.
thomas boy

217 appeal?

Post by thomas boy »

I have tried all options I can find (Internet etc) but do not see able to find out how many appeals have been made in previous years to this GS, and also how many were successful etc.
Would be helpful to know if need to prepare for over subscription appeal.
Any Ideas where to look/go next? :?:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I have tried all options I can find (Internet etc) but do not see able to find out how many appeals have been made in previous years to this GS, and also how many were successful etc.
Information about appeals for individual schools is not often published.

If it's a foundation school, you can ask them for the details. If it's a LA school, the LA should give you the figures.

If they seem reluctant, put it in writing and say your request is being made "under the Freedom of Information Act". (You must, however, be very specific about what information you want - e.g. say "the last three years" rather than "previous years".)
Etienne
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

I'm interested in the info Alex has mentioned above about info for head teachers as to what to put in a supporting letter.

Our Choice Advisors seem to only have been avaliable up until 6 Nov 09 by phone or email. Any ideas?

Thanks

Fluffy
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now