Thinking ahead to Autumn 2011 tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Weaver

Thinking ahead to Autumn 2011 tests

Post by Weaver »

Hi All,

I'm new to this Board, and am starting to think ahead as my daughter (year 4) wants to go to an all-girl school. Our only options on that are HSG or Ribston. I've looked at the Sticky posts, but would be grateful if someone can clarify what tests Gloucestershire grammars are using? What did they do last November? What would be the best guides to buy to familiarise with the tests?

This link on the sticky from Tolstoy doesn't work:

[i]In the past the questions have been of the 15 types mentioned on this site but feedback from DC sitting this year's tests suggests there may have been a move to the 21 types. The following link will take you to the free Tutors download explaining the 21 types of verbal reasoning questions. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/pdf/th ... hnique.pdf[/i]

I'm just hoping to get an idea of any guidance & help I can offer my daughter to get the best chance on the day. We're lucky that we are in the catchment of a good comprehensive, so not too stressed!

Thanks in advance for any advice / pointers you can offer. :)
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Hi Weaver
I am relatively new to this forum but I have DD1 at HSFG and DD2 going to Ribston in Sept. My advice is to look round the schools at the next open day which used to be in Oct time but have heard might change to summer term - (that would be this summer term) check school websites. You can then look round again next year and make a final decision on which is your first choice. DD2 preferred RH because of the dance facilities so we put that first choice. HSFG excellent so far in most ways for DD1
The test will be the same for both of these schools and is taken at your first pref school, has been early November up to now but I think is moving forward, hence possible earlier open days. Start preparing during Y5 at primary school as by Y6 it is too late, the test will be upon you. I have prepared my girls for the test using books and tests bought from Waterstones, Smiths etc and also available to buy online but many children go to tutors, it is up to you. You need to get Verbal Reasoning papers and there are 2 tests of around 50 mins on the day. Don't worry too much about timing in the early stages just get used to the type of questions and help as much as you need to. Nearer the time you need to be finishing within time if possible. You will find the posts on this forum useful, and can ask any further questions as you go along.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

HI Mum23*,

Thanks so much for your post; it's really helpful. Interesting too that you have first-hand experience of bpth Ribston and HSG - I will doubtless have more questions for you nearer the time!

Which test books did you find most useful in prepping for the actual event? I'm hearing mixed opinions...

I will definitely go to the parents' evenings this year, as I've no experience of either school. For now, I'm just trying to get DD into the habit of looking up words she doesn't know, and doing some VR-type puzzles for fun. Later in the year, we'll get onto it properly.

Thanks again! :)
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

hi Weaver

I have DS in Year 4 too and he will sit 11+ in 2011. I have done the odd bit of VR with him - the Bond VR book for age 7-8 (haven't got round to getting the older age ones but they go from age 6-7 up to 11-12 years.

I am now starting slowly (just sitting down occasionally) with the books called "Verbal Reasoning graded test papers" by Susan J Daughtrey the orange one is the first. They are not multiple choice but don't think that matters at this stage. With the others I have also used the IPS pack and Walsh (zebra style print on the front) AFN and Letts (giraffe on front of pack 1 and fireworky thing on pack 2) with these definitely get the multi choice version. I found it better to do a variety of papers and get used to different type of questions. First time round I didn't know much about it so it was a learning curve - I went and bought completely wrong books - non-verbal reasoning etc!!

Very close to the last test we did lots of the question types that my DD found the hardest because some types I knew she would be fine with. DD1 good at English type Qs and DD2 good at the number type but not some of the word ones. I will probably start more regularly when DS is in year 5. Make sure for now your DD is learning her x tables well, that will help alot with speed and number bonds to 10, 20 100.

The VR stuff helps with general school work anyway, friend's DD didn't pass 11+ but got 3 5's in her SATs due to the preparation she did for them so that was a silver lining.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now