Level 4B - chance of passing 11 plus?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rhubarbcrumble

Level 4B - chance of passing 11 plus?

Post by rhubarbcrumble »

Hi all
I'm new to this and will probably be grey and demented by the time my poor child sits the 11 plus (November 2011). I'm trying very hard not to get myself worked up (a long way off I know), but since my DD is only at level 3B, I'm wondering if she'll be good enough to do it. Thing is, her teacher thinks she has a very good chance as she is a bright girl (in the CAT test taken a few months ago she got 121 which is way above average I believe). This CAT score predicts she'll be a 5C/B at end of year 6. However, as far as I can work out, a 3B is pretty average for an eight year old in year 4. Doesn't seem to make much sense!! I'm assuming that kids need to be at least a level 5 to pass 11 plus. However, if she is able to move from a 3B to a 4B (hopefully higher) would this be sufficient to give it a good try? When she was at the end of year 2 she was a level 3 for key stage 1 which was pretty damn good, I actually think she has regressed a little and is now average rather than above average.

Thing is, we have excellent grammar schools here (Southend), but my local comps are absolutely dire. If they were ok, I wouldn't be quite so paranoid about her getting the damn 11 plus... :(

Any advice would be greatly received if you can make head or tail or my rantings...:?
chad

Post by chad »

The predicted Sats are fine..... there is sometimes a 'blip' in achievement, some children stagnate for a term and then suddenly accelerate again.
I was told (berkshire area) when looking round the grammar schools that 3 5's are great - but 2 level 5's and a 4 are also not unusual. I think you will have a better idea by Nov/ dec ....
sherry_d

Re: Level 4B - chance of passing 11 plus?

Post by sherry_d »

rhubarbcrumble wrote:Hi all
I'm new to this and will probably be grey and demented by the time my poor child sits the 11 plus
The best advise I ever got from this site is you need hair dye after allocation next year. Mine is grey already so I dont know what colour it will be next year.

What people generally say is for cats score over 120 is definately go for it. You should have cats scores for three subjects/ assesments whatever they are called. Between 110 - 119 is give it a try.

Saying that you really cant really on these alone. There are parents here whose kids had high cats score and just scrapped in the 11+ and those with mediorce doing extemely well.

I would say go for it if you are thinking of it and there is still bags of time and you can get a tutor or go down the diy route. This site is full of information to help you get started. With 11+ its very much about tutoring/ coaching and let the child be familiar with the type of questions. Its to such an extend that even those clever kids sometimes fail if they arent prepared as this is different from what they do in school and most state school dont cover any 11+ stuff so its really left to the parents. In an ideal world people shouldnt really tutor but the reality is people do.

Also worth mentioning esp with maths that in some case they wouldnt have covered all the stuff required for 11+ so its helping them fill those gaps too.
Impossible is Nothing.
slackmum

Post by slackmum »

I think the CATs are really important, I was told 110-125 worth a go at GS over 125 pretty much guaranteed should qualify, so I think she has a good chance as long as you prepare her and she is motivated.

However I am from a different area, it might be worth posting in your own forum as the results may be different depending on the competition etc. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
mattsurf

Post by mattsurf »

slackmum wrote:I think the CATs are really important, I was told 110-125 worth a go at GS over 125 pretty much guaranteed should qualify, so I think she has a good chance as long as you prepare her and she is motivated.
Very, very few children are pretty much guaranteed to pass in some areas of the country. The 11+ can be a lottery even for the most able of children (hence many grey haired parents)

I wouldn't be concerned about SATs for a year 4 child - Your own view and to a lesser extent the teachers view is far more valuable.

Personally I don't buy into the view that a considerable level of preparation is not required - unless you child is really tallented then I would recommend starting early with basics and continuing for 12 to 18 months - I actually found it really enjoyable, so did my son for the most part
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

well my dd was a 3c in maths at the beginning of year five! she is now in the middle of year six and I am told is a comfortable level 5 - i think she was probably a level 4a when she took the test in sept/oct of last year. Kids can make big jumps in just a few terms :lol: go for it :lol:
slackmum

Post by slackmum »

I also do not believe in a considerable level of preparation, I personally feel 18 months is way too long. My DS and I did about 3 months at home and yes he got into all the GSs in the county.

Of course no child is guaranteed to qualify and I shouldn't have suggested such but over 125 makes for a very able child.
rhubarbcrumble

Post by rhubarbcrumble »

Thanks for all your replies - it's been helpful and interesting to read. My god, I could spend all night on here!!!

Sherry - yes, she got separate CATs results, I believe they were 118, 122 and 124, but can't remember which one was for which, anyway overall score was given as 121. Her teacher did say that 100 was average and 120 plus is a definite to try for 11 plus.

Slackmum - I think CATs are important too as basically it's a form of IQ test isn't it? This is why I think that her being at only a 3B seems very average when she is clearly quite a bit above average. (Her reading age is also at eleven years and eight months). I don't know, maybe her classwork isn't that great, but she's better at taking tests! :lol:

I'm planning to help her myself with possibly a little tutoring late next year, but nothing too mental. I want to keep it fun too, I have to keep reminding myself that she's 8 (9 in May) and don't want her to get stressed as I've heard many stories of it all going pear-shaped for parents and kids when the poor mites start to feel the pressure. If I'm totally honest, I'm actually all for no extra tutoring or too much help, only a few past papers maybe a couple of months before as obviously this would give the biggest indicator of natural ability. However, because of the fact that so many parents opt for the tutoring route they are upping the stakes so I need to join in just a little... :lol:

I've also heard of stories about children being tutored to within an inch of their lives, passed the 11 plus, got to the GS and then been unable to keep up with the work.

Thanks very much people - it's after 1am. I'd better hit the sack now.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Hi Rhubarbcrumble,

I wouldn't worry about the SATs levels at this stage - remember that they often tell more about what your child has been taught as opposed to what they are capable of learning. Her ability could be greater than the SATs results lead you to suppose.

I've just been through the Essex 11+ with my DS and I would strongly suggest you get a hold of past papers from the consortium so that you have an idea of what you are working towards. The English and Maths papers are way beyond the work covered in school. VR is not taught at all and so needs to be learned from scratch.

In an ideal world, children would not need tuition before taking the 11+ but you would probably feel you had done your daughter a disservice if you gave her only familiarisation. Have a look at the standard of the papers and you'll see what I mean! That said, there are enough available materials for you to prepare her for the exam yourself if professional tuition isn't an option. You have plenty of time.

You probably need to do very little at the moment. Encourage reading (I'm sure you do already) but try to introduce books that are for a slightly older child. In the exam, your ten year old will face Dickens/Hardy/Eliot and the like! Maybe make a start on some of the Bond VR books for your daughter's age.

Use this forum. I've found it really useful. People are helpful and many have gone through the process several times.

Good luck!
Last edited by First-timer on Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
um

Post by um »

In addition to what's already been said, I presume the result is based on teacher assessment - and great as teachers (usually) are, they are not infallible.
My son was assessed at 4b at the end of Year 5, an assessment that I disagreed with. He is now (at the end of Year 6) a level 7 (from taking KS3 papers). Now either he has indeed moved up 3 levels in one year, or the first assessment was inaccurate. So after this experience, I would set more in store by what your child is getting in 11 plus papers than a teacher's assessment.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now