number pattern

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

whathappened

number pattern

Post by whathappened »

We have only just started Susan Daughtrey and i am finding it harder than our previous papers.could someone kindly help me with this number pattern,

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 ?

this is from test 8, sorry if the answer is obvious
many thanks
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Add the two previous numbers

1+1
1+2
2+3
3+5
5+8
8+13=21

It's just a different style of sequence.

steve
whathappened

Post by whathappened »

thank you very much stevew.i would never have worked that out myself.you are a star.
Milla

Post by Milla »

this one is quite a common feature (Fibonacci code), so worth making it clear to your child. Others are runs of squares, cubes (1, 8, 27 etc) as well as sequences where every other number is added / doubled whatever. Generally these are easy to spot since the run will have to be longer to accommodate 2 strings of numbers.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

whathappened wrote:thank you very much stevew.i would never have worked that out myself.you are a star.
It is worth investing in a Method & Technique book to gain some guidance on the possible variations in each question type. Knowing what to look for can save a lot of time.
whathappened

Post by whathappened »

dear Milla and Stevew, thank you so much for the great advise.it really helps a lot.this is my first child and i want to help her as best i can.this site is great as i have been warned by other mums not to ask advise at school gates as it is all so competitive.so thank you to my support group.Stevew,i shall get one of those books.thanks
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

whathappened wrote: i have been warned by other mums not to ask advise at school gates as it is all so competitive.
:D :D
Milla

Post by Milla »

such a shame, but pretty true. Horribly competitive but if it's any comfort, I reckon some of it also stems from people not wanting to be judged for doing it, or to have people mutter, "she thinks her child is up to it??" A very sensitive time all round! Keep on asking away, I'm getting to the stage of kind of missing it :shock: :shock:
marigold

Post by marigold »

Milla,

I think we are all missing the thrill of the chase which is why there are questions about car parks in Westerham and chewing gum on carpets.
doodles

Post by doodles »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Missing the structure- may have to start DS2 off early - he's only year3!! :wink: :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !