Maths preparation advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
11plusmum99

Maths preparation advice

Post by 11plusmum99 »

Can anyone advice re preparation material for maths apart from bonds?

Thanks

11plusmum99
crazydaisy

Post by crazydaisy »

We used these brilliant workbooks which we got from WHSmith. Can't remember their names but it was something like SSP - not very memorable but I bet someone else will know. They come in booklets with single page tests, each with about 40 questions in three groups of 10 mins, and very eclectic. Also 6 levels, we worked from level 4 up to end of level 5 and it was really useful as they are quite short. You have to buy the answer books separately. Amazing how quickly I've forgotten, hope this helps! :)
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

We used Bond maths books as well as Nfer. I wouldn't worry about getting the 'right' maths practice tests in the same way as VR for example where you might want to focus on specific types. Any maths practice is good. Try and find tests which have long wordy problems - these are where children often fall down. They could do the sum involved but get the wrong answer because they haven't read/understood the question properly. It's also useful to make a note of any vocab/terms your child seems unfamiliar with so that you can go over it just before the actual tests. You need to make sure they understand words such as, "mode, mean, median, range, quotient", Know the names and properties of different shapes, especially triangles, how to calculate area, how to square/cube a number etc.

Good luck!
11plusmum99

Maths preparation material

Post by 11plusmum99 »

Thanks for your advice.
dani*

Post by dani* »

Is it just me or are the NFER maths test papers a lot easier than Bond.

Thanks.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

prime numbers are a useful thing to know too.

a number which has only 2 factors, so 1 is not prime..

Area and perimeter also seem to trip children up I find.

and obviously quick mental arithmetic and recall of tables (as division as well as multiplication.)

I haven;t used Bond papers much, so can;t really comment on the level of difficulty.

I use woodlands junior and similar sites for additional practice. I also have the Tutors download from this site, which can be useful for practice in a particular type of question if it is needed
dani*

Post by dani* »

yoyo123 wrote:prime numbers are a useful thing to know too.

Area and perimeter also seem to trip children up I find.

My DD kept tripping up on area and perimeter. Every time she got it wrong she had to walk '' the perimeter of the garden''. It worked for us. :D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I like it!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

DD2 reports that the maths paper looks nothing like the shop bought nfers. Lots of topics do not turn up yet the wordy 2 or 3 stage questions are plentiful. The problem with these wordy probs is that the kids get lost in them, they forget where they are and what they have worked out.
Heard somewhere that the nfers are being rewritten but cannot confirm that. I would not now use nfer for the maths.
dani*

Post by dani* »

When DD was younger we used to get Scofield and Sims maths books. They were good value and if I remember correctly those books have loads of 2/3 stage questions. Although they are not marketed as 11+ preparation I'm considering to get one so we can practice reading and breaking questions down.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now