Waiting lists

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2togo

Waiting lists

Post by 2togo »

There's a lot of talk in other areas of the country about movement in waiting lists but nothing on here about what's happening in Birmingham. So I'm looking for some advice. My DS has 2 friends who've secured their second choice GS (FW) but really want CH. One lad knows that on school allocation day he was number 29 on CH's list. I have only heard of one lad who's turned down CH (got 50% scholarship to KES). Are there more out there? Is 29th just too, too far down to expect an offer? He's been told they'll keep him on the list until next Xmas time. Do the schools think people will be choosing btwn an indie & a GS right up until then??

Any thoughts welcomed!
2togo

Post by 2togo »

Sorry, didn't mean to say there was NO discussion on B'ham site, just that there less than for other areas & no real mention of CH, FW etc.
fm

Post by fm »

No, they mean that they will keep him on the list and right up to the end of August he may get a call to start in September. After that, it would be a call to possibly do a resit if someone were to start at Camp Hill, then leave mid-term.
You might wonder who would do this but I remember on my eldest girl's year at Five Ways, two children left in the first term. Both knew they were relocating to another area of the country when they started in September but both kept their grammar school place for the couple of months before they did relocate rather than just sticking it out for a couple of months at their local comp. or being home educated.
I would suggest the parent phones the Foundation Office on a fortnightly basis to see if he is inching up the queue. He probably is, but it tends to stall after about July.
Camp Hill do over-offer, usually by about 30, but I understand they did so less this year, anticipating a greater take up of free places so less dropping out. Thus, say it was 20 this year, then 20 boys have to drop out before you even start eating into the queue.
As to not hearing anyone who has rejected a place, the majority of rejects come from independently educated children and they sometimes sit on both places for as long as they can, and keep their cards quite close to their chest.
Of my pupils, three were sitting on scholarships or AP or combination of both, but only has given up their Camp Hill place in favour of KES; the other two have taken their free places. Another pupil, however, has rejected his Five Ways place for KES. So that's a reject rate of about 13+% but that may be atypical of the general cohort.
I would say that if the boy is of proven high ability and did not make Camp Hill due to nerves or inadequate preparation (which often goes hand in hand with high ability) and they have very strong reasons for wanting it (e.g. they live round the corner), then if the parents want to explore every avenue, they might consider appeal. While the chances of winning are slim, it may not be quite as impossible as statistics suggest and certainly is more likely for someone that is probably 3 or 4 points off the score.
If, however, he made a huge effort and had every advantage and still didn't make the score, he may be better going to Five Ways which has a wider spread of pupils in which he may fit more comfortably.
That said, I am not sure if score on entry really does have a strong correlation with performance when actually attending the school.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Don't forget that he really wouldn't have been 29th on the waiting list but 29+x - where x is the number of places the school offered over PAN.

I would doubt that offers would go down that far on the waiting list based on previous years.
fm

Post by fm »

Sorry, Kenr, our replies crossed.
appu

Post by appu »

Our DS is on waiting list 6 for KE Aston, scored qualifying mark and on waiting list due to the distance. We have phoned KE foundation office and understand that 16 places offerd over PAN 104, can any one advise the possibility of getting him the admission in Aston. What was the last year movement in the waiting list for Aston?

We have not accepted the local comp school offered and for safer side we have taken admission on George Dixon, not know how good this school is?

Please through some views!!
tranquillity

Post by tranquillity »

We have just turned down an offer for CHB in favour of full fee bursary at KES.

Hope it works out for those on the waiting lists :) .
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now