11 plus 2010

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jacquie

11 plus 2010

Post by jacquie »

Just looking on Warwickshire web site ( for Rugby) test information.

It states

'The test comprises of two 45 minute papers
Approx 100-125 questions on each paper
Both papers include a mixture of Verbal Reasoning, Non Verbal Reasoning and Numeracy questions.'

http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/corp ... 8500505256

Looks like a different format :?:
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

or maybe not.....friend just asked me this and I looked quickly...as you can see the site information is brief, certainly not detailed like the post on south warks.
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

Sounds like there won't be any English comprehension or a clozed test? :?
fm

Post by fm »

For the last 5 years the King Edward Foundation in Birmingham posts that there will be verbal reasoning in the exam, without detailing the fact that the verbal reasoning will actually be vocabulary tests, cloze tests and a couple of comprehensions. Unfortunately some tutors/parents still slog their children through VR papers and the children end up bewildered when there is no sign of any traditional verbal reasoning.

I certainly wouldn't assume from this posting that Cloze tests etc. will be disappearing. What has happened over the years with our exam is that the format of the Cloze tests changed from select the best of 3 to fill in the missing letters. Other major changes have been that one year they dropped the mental maths but quickly reinstated the next year. The non-verbal often stays the same for a couple of years and then they trial something new.

Basically, make no assumptions.
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

Thanks fm. They do seem quite strangely casual sometimes, as to information they post- they ought to realise the amount of phone calls they are going to reap in response and just not post until they have the full programme written properly.
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

'The test comprises of two 45 minute papers
Approx 100-125 questions on each paper
Both papers include a mixture of Verbal Reasoning, Non Verbal Reasoning and Numeracy questions

Just a thought - that is about 25 seconds per question on average - that is a very fast pace. I have been working on 1 minute per question, so need to double the speed for DD. However, I have noticed that many of the so called verbal reasoning questions can be done very quickly.

Even so... very fast pace, will catch out unprepared kids.
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Exactly that DarkEnergy - the pace was VERY fast. That was the main feature of the test - the sheer speed - and frightened many very able children. Not that I am saying that this then resulted in able children not gaining a place; merely that it came as a shock. Able children are used to completing work easily and with plenty of time to spare. This simply isn't the case for this set of exams.
fm

Post by fm »

I sometimes ask pupils how I could have improved my tutoring and a few years ago more than one suggested I cut down the time I allow them to do some of the commerically available tests I use as it gave them a false idea of the pace required.

I thought this good advice and followed it within limits. For instance my fastest and best can manage a Learning Together non-verbal test in 17 minutes (40 minutes given) but restricting many of them to 20 minutes would send them into a total panic. Instead I suggest they aim for 25 minutes but don't get over worried if you take 30 minutes.

The University of Durham exam is about getting the right balance between accuracy and timing. While it is advisable to encourage children to set a brisk pace, you must be very careful not to push a child beyond the best pace for them. Better 3/4 done and right than all done at a gallop and half wrong.

I would also increase the pace very gradually.
Ell1e

Post by Ell1e »

The University of Durham exam is about getting the right balance between accuracy and timing. While it is advisable to encourage children to set a brisk pace, you must be very careful not to push a child beyond the best pace for them. Better 3/4 done and right than all done at a gallop and half wrong.
I think FM is right, my kid was top 50 in the test this year but her score was actually only 72% when you break it down. She was sure she had failed as she left many questions unanswered so that suggests what she did answer, she answered accurately.
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

Ell1e wrote:
I think FM is right, my kid was top 50 in the test this year but her score was actually only 72% when you break it down. She was sure she had failed as she left many questions unanswered so that suggests what she did answer, she answered accurately.
Top 50 at 72% - ouch. So assume they need approx 70% in order to get GS place. That seems high given that Durham CEM 11 plus is so tough on time. I know no one likes to suggest a pass mark, but estimates can be made... even if they are a bit dodgy.

Thanks Ell1E
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky