Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

What exams do we need to study for?

Post by Guest »

Hi There,

Am preparing my son for the following Exams

QE Boys & Parmiters

plus Haberdashers and Merchant Tailors.

Does anyone know if he has to study for VR, NVR, ENG and Maths for all the above or does it vary by school???
LEEDS100

Post by LEEDS100 »

Is the QE BOYS in Barnet.

If so, they have NVR and VR tests (taken last week) and ENGLISH / MATHS (to be scheduled in January for those who passed the NVR & VR qualifying mark at 70%)
Romeo

Post by Romeo »

QE School for Boys (all multiple choice)

1st sitting: Verbal reasoning & non-verbal reasoning (Dec)
Selected candidates only for 2nd sitting: English & maths (Jan)

Parmiters (all multiple choice)

One sitting: Verbal reasoning & maths (Nov)

Merchant Taylors & Habs (January)

1st sitting: Maths (standard) & English (standard + Essay) & Verbal Reasoning (multiple choice)
Selected candidates only: Interview

You are too late for QE & Parmiters but the Independents will take your money off you any time!

Hope this helps

Post by Guest »

Haberdashers has sample maths and English papers if you ask for them. All the schools should tell you the format of the tests if you ask them. However, beware: two independents my son sat for last year changed the type of reasoning on the day. One had said it would be VR and it turned out to be NVR; one said NVR and it was VR! (And I did check afterwards; it wasn't our mistake...)

He took the Habs test. It was one of the harder ones he did and the interview was less of a chat, more another series of maths and english questions. Let me know if you want more info.

LC

Post by Guest »

thanks guys - I've still got one yr to prepare

Post by Guest »

The year will pass by very fast. Don't forget to focus on comprehensions and essay writing. Grammar, spelling and punctuation should not be discounted. All the best!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now