should we appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MumatHome

should we appeal

Post by MumatHome »

DD missed the pass mark for Ribston by 1 mark we were not going to appeal as most people seem to think this is a waste of time but teacher has said we should and school would support 100%.

Do not know of anyone else thinking of going to appeal at her school even those who have only missed by 2 or 3 marks.

Is it worth trying?
capers123

Ribston

Post by capers123 »

Hi

Last year there were about 25 empty places at Ribston BEFORE the appeals, as all the children who passed got in. I don't know how many appealed and won, but I'm sure that the school would have preferred to have more pupils. The Appeals panel will have known that there were unfilled places, and so if an appeal had any mitigating circumstances at all, they would have been likely to be quite generous.

As far as I am aware, the school once again has unfilled places. If I were you, I would appeal. Any evidence is useful - if your child was not tutored, had a headache, was scared, very nervous - but preferably backed up with good evidence from the current school to prove that she would thrive (and not struggle) in a grammar. A letter from the current teacher to that effect would not be a bad thing, and predicted SATS scores.

Please don't be scared of appealing - it's not hard, panels are (by and large) friendly & sympathetic, and the appeal meeting is as informal as panels can make it.

Last year I gave some friends the same advice, their DD was about the same position as yours, and they won the appeal.

What have you to loose but time & a few frazzled nerves?

I'd say that you have a fairly good chance - not 100% (as no appeal has a 100% chance of success) but good.

Good luck.
Capers
MumatHome

Appeal

Post by MumatHome »

Thank yor for the advice have decided to go for it.

She is in the A sets for English and Maths and have been told she should get level 5's in her sats.

Not sure what went wrong on the day but she was very worried before she went in and was very nervous.

Did not have her tutored just got pratice papers from Smiths/Waterstones to do at home (feel very guilty about this now) but she was scoring in the high 80% - 95%.

Wish I had found this sight earlier many thanks
Alice in Underland

Post by Alice in Underland »

My DD missed entry for SHS by 2 points. I am going to appeal following advice from three well informed sources. She has been educated overseas and took the tests in unusual circumstances.

Nothing to lose. Do please try. Call the school admissions officer to ask about procedures and time table.

Good Luck !
MumatHome

Post by MumatHome »

Thanks Alice in Underland have telephoned school and they will send me an appeals pack as soon as they can.

We also missed SHS by 2 marks.

I seem to be the lone wolf at my DD's primary as nobody else is going to appeal so I have been looking through this forum for advice as I am just a mum trying to do the best for her DD.

We were allocated our 4th choice school which our DD did not like that much.

Good Luck to you and your DD
capers123

Post by capers123 »

MumatHome wrote:I seem to be the lone wolf at my DD's primary as nobody else is going to appeal so I have been looking through this forum for advice as I am just a mum trying to do the best for her DD.
Appealing is 'unusual' by definition, so I'm not surprised that no-one else in the playground is going for it.
Capers
capers123

Re: Appeal

Post by capers123 »

MumatHome wrote:She is in the A sets for English and Maths and have been told she should get level 5's in her sats.

Not sure what went wrong on the day but she was very worried before she went in and was very nervous.

Did not have her tutored just got pratice papers from Smiths/Waterstones to do at home (feel very guilty about this now) but she was scoring in the high 80% - 95%.
Sounds pretty much what I would expect from a child who was suitable for Grammar, which is good.
Capers
MumatHome

Post by MumatHome »

Thank you to all of you for your help and advice.

MumatHome
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Did not have her tutored just got pratice papers from Smiths/Waterstones to do at home (feel very guilty about this now
Try not to agonise too much over this point it may well be that the tutoring wouldn't have made a difference anyway. Some children just don't preform well on the day and I suppose we just have to accept that. My DS2 who should have been a sure thing and had plenty of prep has his place by the skin of his teeth, literally the draw of a hat :wink:

The appeals system is based on sound academic evidence not a one off performance and this is why it is so important for people to take up this option when things do go wrong on the day.

Goodluck :)
MumatHome

Post by MumatHome »

Thank you Tolstoy.

MumatHome
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now