Entry into Kings Canterbury at Sixth Form

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nigs

Entry into Kings Canterbury at Sixth Form

Post by nigs »

Hi everyone. I have been lurking on this website for a while and have found it to be very interesting and useful. My DD is in Y10 Grammar at the moment and I am hoping to move her to Kings for Sixth Form (Y12) (boarding - maybe day) mainly for a better chance at trying for medicine at Oxbridge. I was just wondering if anyone has taken this path, what was involved and how they have found it. I am also hoping to go the Scholarship and Bursary route. Is it possible to get 100% scholarship through Kings? (Otherwise, like some of the other mums, it is going to be beans on toast for a while.) Obviously, a lot depends on the entrance tests. I haven't yet visited the school but I am hoping to soon. My DD plays piano but only to Grade 4 standard at the moment. She has just started G5. What sort of questions are asked at interview? Thanks in advance for your help.
nigs

Post by nigs »

I wonder if I have put this in the wrong section - maybe I should try the Sixth Form section. Any help??
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi
I think you are probably in the right place.. just not much response yet/... there has been some discussion lately about the pros and cons of moving at sixth form ... if you don't have to that is. Lots of thoughts both ways...!

If it is really to do medicine at Oxbridge then may not actually be terribly helpful.. likely to do just as well from GS and would have to really hit the ground running if they moved to a new school - not much time to catch up / settle in!
nigs

Post by nigs »

Thanks for your reply Hermanmunster.

The main reason for wanting to move is A level grades in science in my DD's grammar are not as good as the GSCEs. I am not sure why and I wondered if a move to a better 6th form would give her a better chance. On the other hand, she is working quite hard and could come out as the exception. Was there a thread on this site about the pros and cons of moving at Sixth Form or was it a general news item?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Nigs - there was a thread somewhere ... I'll hunt for it and post it on here!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Nigs - there was a thread somewhere ... I'll hunt for it and post it on here!

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=14512
nigs

Post by nigs »

Thanks for the link, Hermanmunster.

Wow, so much to think about.

At the moment DD is not too bothered about moving. She doesn't hate her present school and is not too attached to her friends who I am sure she would still see or speak to from time to time. She is an only child and seems to adapt to different environments quite well.

I have however, from reading the link, been alerted to things I had not previously considered. I will have to think long and hard about this.
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

Nigs
Haven't been around and so only replying now.

These are the 6th form scholarships recently awarded at KSC (from news section of website):

King’s Scholarships (6th form):

H Chidera U Ota (Highsted Grammar School, Sittingbourne)
Thomas G J Ralston (Tonbridge School)
Alexandra L D Sidebottom (Highworth Girls’ Grammar School)
Harry T R Taylor (The Judd School)

In earlier years there have been as many as 6.
Would guess that the standard is high. The website explains the subject choices.
The scholarship will not be 100% but a bursary on top could be subject to means. First step would be the scholarship though!
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I guess you have also seen the thread on Kings at the bottom of this very page? Not 6th form but I expect some of it is still relevant (scholarship advice Kings, started by Observer)
nigs

Post by nigs »

Thank you First Time Buyer and Amber. I hadn't seen this. Interesting. As you say though, get the test and interview out of the way and then the scholarships.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now