Order of answering

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kaya

Order of answering

Post by kaya »

Should we do the paper in order (Q1 till Q80) or can we do the difficult sections first & come to the easier ones later.Thank you.

What does DD mean?
sherry_d

Re: Order of answering

Post by sherry_d »

kaya wrote:Should we do the paper in order (Q1 till Q80) or can we do the difficult sections first & come to the easier ones later.Thank you.

What does DD mean?
DD means darling daughter, dear daughter or whatever along those lines. and DS the same darling son, dear son and DC mean darling child. More on forum lingo here :wink:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=13507

Regarding doing the papers when DC is ready I think it makes sense to get them to do the complete paper and then you pick up the areas they dont do well on. Often DCs seem to think certain areas are harder but when you see the scores its really not like that so it will be very difficult to pick just difficult areas in a paper based on their feedback.

VR is one paper where they have to be superfast so personally I would get them to practice work on the easy areas too so that they can cruise these in the exam and then get more time for the harder questions.
Impossible is Nothing.
kaya

Post by kaya »

thanks sherry_d .
Daogroupie

Order of anwering

Post by Daogroupie »

I taught my dd to look for the types that she liked first and do those to build up confidence and get a bank of answered ones behind her. But this is very much personal preference. I think with VR it is best to build up a style that works for you. We had to get to 100 in 45 minutes which took a long time to get to. I would recommend the Sutton Mocks in June and July. We are in Herts but travelled there last year and have just got our date through for this year. It is VR and Non Vr in a real live test environment with hundreds of other children. It will show you where you are on timing and give you a few months to work on any areas that cause problems.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

it's worth noting how long each section takes to do
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

We tried answering the 'easy' ones first & the ones DS liked followed by the more difficult ones but we found that presented a timing issue when it comes the the real thing or doing whole papers. So after we had done with practising all the different types, I made him work through the papers in order, to much resistance, but his times improved dramatically as there was no flicking back & forward through the paper & spending time picking & choosing. When it comes to the real thing every second counts !
patricia

Post by patricia »

rosered100 wrote: but his times improved dramatically as there was no flicking back & forward through the paper & spending time picking & choosing. When it comes to the real thing every second counts !
Absolutely agree.

Once the types have been learnt, my children must work in a logical manner, answering every question in order. The only exception is the Z questions, these should be guessed and left until last.

Practice and more practice will ensure the child can complete the test in time.

Patricia
Milla

Post by Milla »

Mine, being a bit OCD :roll: , wouldn't leave the Z type, but I was also relieved by this dreading the picture of him stumbling back and forwards through the paper, dropping his pencil, wasting endless minutes re-finding his place. BUT by then, he could do the "easy" sections, the ones he liked, in about 30 seconds (about 5 or 6 seconds a question) buying him plenty of time for the ones he didn't like - in his case, the 3 codes 4 words ones, which took about 40 seconds each question.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now