NVR v VR scores?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sherwood

NVR v VR scores?

Post by Sherwood »

I'm curious about the difference in score between verbal and nonverbal papers. Is it common for children to score substantially higher in one paper than the other?

My daughter scored 126 in VR and 110 in NVR. Is this an unusual difference, or quite common?
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Hello Sherwood,

I am no expert but i will say my ds had also gained very similar marks to your dd!!!!

From the start of preperation he clicked with vr and it was like second nature to him,but nvr was a different story and he only clicked last minute.
This is despite maths being his stronger subject.
I would think it was quite normal for children to have a difference in scores.

Also from what i have heard the Tiffin nvr is very tough and so i would expect lower marks.

I hope this helps?
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

That's interesting! I thought that NVR was meant to test maths, but it's certainly my daughter's strong suit whereas she finds NVR really hard! She's dyspraxic and I wondered if that explained her NVR score (visuo-spatial scores etc).

I know I can't do the NVR questions - or maths!
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

My children differed hugely in their NVR and VR scores at the beginning of their 11+ preparation. DD clicked with NVR straight away and DS vice versa, DS is the one of the two which is much stronger in maths. I did think that quite a few of the VR question types had a maths base.
Josa

Post by Josa »

Interesting that this question is been asked as I was thinking about this yesterday. I've always thought there was a correlation with Maths and NVR so assumed ds will click instantly since he's very good in maths but that hasn't been the case :o . He absolutely loves VR though and finds it easier to understand.

Hopefully it won't be long before NVR starts to click.
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Yes it is funny how despite being quite strong in maths he found nvr very tough at first.

And interestingly the vr for Tiffin has not had maths type questions in a couple of years.
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

I have just noticed that the time is still Gmt on here :D
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Shaftesbury it's not for me. You need to go in to your profile and change the time zone.
kitkat

NVR -v-VR

Post by kitkat »

Hi there, I have a similar experience to report, DS (a good all rounder) absolutely flew through VR scoring almost 100% all the time. As for NVR it took much longer to click and even then he seemed to be unable to get past the 80% mark, much to his frustration. Fortunately our choice of Indie didn't weed out candidates by NVR alone, unlike our closest Grammar, where he missed the second round by only 4 marks!! Good job his preference lay with the Indie.
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Thanks snowdrops--i am up-to-date now!

Kitkat that reflects my ds exactly!

What did you feel was his stumbling block in nvr?

My ds understood the techniques but would argue and debate about possible answers resulting in a confused mess.He had to learn to work more methodically and then on finding the most simple and obvious answer-stick to it!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now