Objective National/Authority Data to Support an Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mary Jane

Post by Mary Jane »

I'm trying to establish some objective data for an appeal & I have been trawling the DCSF & National Statistics websites & similar, trying to ascertain the percentage of Key Stage 2 pupils who achieve level 5a/5b/5c in their SAT's. I have found the data re level 4 vs level 5 etc but was hoping to find a more detailed breakdown... Can anybody point me in the right direction please?

My child passed for 3 out of 4 local Grammar Schools, I am appealing for the 4th, our local school. Where the 3 passes were achieved, the tests applied were vr, nvr & maths. On the only one he failed, the tests were english, nvr & maths. Any suggestions how I might counter this?

All help gratefully received!
MJ
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think the a/b/c is purely school based and not part of official results.
chad

Post by chad »

My personal opinion.....I would have thought that 'English', if it is comprehension etc, is more of a taught skill rather than 11+ or cats tests. If some areas of English have not been covered in depth during the school year then it would put him at a disadvantage.
Do you have the 'split' of the marks for each paper..... can you identify where he lost marks on the test?
KenR

Post by KenR »

Detailed breakdown of the 2009 KS2 tests, including Age Standardised scores, threshold tables and analysis for schools is available on the QCA web site:- http://testsandexams.qcda.gov.uk/18996.aspx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

How are you thinking of deploying the 'objective data' at an appeal?
Etienne
Mary Jane

Post by Mary Jane »

Thank you all for your speedy advice!

KenR, the QCA site doesn't seem to mention the differentiation between level 5a/5b/5c. I'm concerned Herman Munster may be right about this being purely school based...

Etienne, what I'd like to do is objectively demonstrate that my child scores within the top 10% of our borough (as top 11% attend Grammar Schools)

2009 In our borough
English 39% of pupils attained level 5
Maths 45%
Science 53%

2009 In our primary school
English 48% of pupils attained level 5
Maths 45%
Science 65%

I note that Science SAT's have now been discontinued.

As you can see, Level 5 only places him around top 50% which isn't very helpful...

I also have his NFER Nelson scores for Reading, Spelling & Maths but again, I would need to ascertain the percentage of pupils nationally & within our borough who perform at the same level. I can't find this data either!!!

Chad, I have the breakdown of his overall English, Maths & NVR but don't have a more detailed breakdown of his performance. I'm hoping that I will be sent more info/copies of his papers when the independent appeal hearing is confirmed. Is this how it works?

Thanks again,
MJ
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Mary Jane, there was a bit of a discussion about this a few weeks ago :;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=14409
Mary Jane

Post by Mary Jane »

Thanks Hermanmunster, not what I wanted to hear I'm afraid...

Now feeling very frustrated that my child has been subjected to incessant assessment & testing but it seems that the data is inconclusive...

Our H/T included the A's indicating higher level 5 scores when confirming estimated grades for internal review so I assumed they were recognised indicators...

ARGH!
MJ
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

It is frustrating - the figures given seem initially so encouraging and on closer inspection far too vague and all encompassing

I think one of the most frustrating things for parents is that more children get 3 level 5s at KS2 than can ever get into GS. Ultimately means it is difficult to easily get evidence of higher academic ability.
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

Aren't Sats meant to be indicators of the school standards and not meant to be specific individual academic indicators - hence the vague level 4 or level 5 at keystage 2. They basically enable government to keep tabs on how schools themselves are performing.
Senior schools (some primaries but not most) generally administer Cats tests early in yr 7 to gain more specific guidance on pupils - I think.
I know this doesn't help if you're needing evidence of academic ability - it is v frustrating, but it explains the vague assessment levels.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now