Transfer Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

busby

Oversubscription appeal

Post by busby »

Hi everyone,

I have a dilemma with an appeal. We live in Tatling End and applied for a particular Grammar school as our first choice. Due to oversubscription we are now offered our second choice . We are grateful he has been offered the opportunity of a Grammar education, and I do not want to sound ungrateful.....BUT having looked at the travel arrangements it is not good news!

We are not entitled to free transport as scond choice is out of catchment i, but we chose that school because due to our location we would not get out catchment school and that has been proven to be the case again.

My son would have to leave home 7:15(not bad i know) to arrive at school for 8:30 BUT the earliest time he can get home is 5:15 having left school at 3:30. My main concerns are that we are relying on him to catch buses on time everyday because if he happens to miss a bus you can imagine the length of time required for him to get home.

I will apply for a discretionary travel place but in the meantime is this a reasonable travel time?

I have appealed but i realise the odds are against us?

Does anyone know where I can obtain the results for transfer appeals, how many appeals there were, success rate etc...

Many Thanks
Busby
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

Someone asked recently on another thread:
I have tried all options I can find (Internet etc) but do not see able to find out how many appeals have been made in previous years to this GS, and also how many were successful etc.
The answer we gave was:
Information about appeals for individual schools is not often published.

If it's a foundation school, you can ask them for the details. If it's a LA school, the LA should give you the figures.

If they seem reluctant, put it in writing and say your request is being made "under the Freedom of Information Act". (You must, however, be very specific about what information you want - e.g. say "the last three years" rather than "previous years".)
With regard to travel, there isn't much that is laid down. The DCFS has in the past issued general guidance about the length of the journey - see:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#c12
but each case would need to be looked at individually with regard to its complexity and impact on the family.
Etienne