carol vorderman's new online maths tutoring

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tubby

carol vorderman's new online maths tutoring

Post by tubby »

l am not sure whether i can write about, (advertising rules) :? the new carol vorderman's online maths, would be interesting to hear about other people's views. My daughter said "cool" when she tried out the sample pages, opinion please if possible :wink: Thanks.
Chai

Post by Chai »

Carol Voderman's children did Kumon...so maybe her website will produce better stuff than Kumon?
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hi,
I have just joined my yr 1 DD to this. Her lovely class teacher is, in my opinion at least, not a very strong teacher of numeracy and little DD seems to have gone backwards in her understanding of number since leaving reception. :cry:
We do not have a lot of spare cash and I do not have the time with 3 kids and a job to be the kind of mummy I would like to be, playing board games and creating number washing lines etc. :cry: :roll:
Little Dd loves the computer so for 15 quid a month, I thought it would do some good and relieve my guilt. :oops:
Anyhow so far so very good. :D I have had excellent customer service and had to literally threaten little Dd to get her off a tens and units game.
The product is great.The child can customise their site.Her avatar is a pink princess.Each topic has games and assessments.There are lovely print outs to accompany the learning.Little Dd ran around showing the whole family her first certificate.
You get access to the assessment results and regular updates on their progress.You can repeat all the games and videos.
For us I think it will be excellent and £3.75 a week well spent. :D
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Hi there

Yes I would be interested to know what others who have joined think about carol vorderman's new online maths tutoring, especially those of older children in years 2, 3, & 4.

We have a DS in year 3. We have done Kumon which lasted about 10months before DS cracked and could not do any more of the repetition of easy sums..

We currently do Schofield & Simms mental arithmetic books once per week, but I must admit it is a struggle to get him to do them - they are tough mentally i.e. the other end of the scale to Kumon.

We are looking for something which has the little and often approach of kumon but the mental challenge of the Schofield & Simms mental arithmetic books...

Maybe this could be it..?

Kind regards
Villagedad
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hello,
I have found them very helpful.I asked for little Dd to go in at slightly a higher level after sampling it.She is no genius at all but the reception/ year 1 goals are very low. They were totally agreeable and respond very quickly to requests.
They are flexible and do assess the child to begin with and most importantly, there is no minimun subscription time.So if you don't like it you have only lost £9.99 the fee for the first month.
No harm in giving it a go. :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

As this thread has survived the mods so far, Mathswhizz.com is also worth taking a look at.
Glparent

Post by Glparent »

I've just signed my DD2 up for times tables package. She's a bright Yr4 but doesn't seem to be getting the hang of tables and her teacher mentioned this at parents eve. She loves computer games so thought we'd give this a go - £19.99 one-off payment until she completes it, so much cheaper (and maybe more interesting) than Kumon which DD1 slogged her way through, with much moaning! :roll:

Will let you know how we get on!
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

I will be looking into the timestable package today. DD is in year 4 and manages extension work at school no problem, but she refuses to learn her times tables. She chooses to carry out much more complicated calculations in her head instead! She invariably reaches the correct answer but her method will be too slow on test day! She loves the computer, so if she can have fun and learn her tables at the same time it will be great!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Has anybody got any feedback on this now it has been going for a little while. The Yr 3 level seemed quite simple for my DC (I think - maybe I am missing something very possible!) do they assess the child individually?

Anybody found anything else?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

if you google maths games and/or look on wooodlands junior school site you will find loads of games for helping times tables ( and they're free)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now