SATS - should I be worried?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pheasantchick

SATS - should I be worried?

Post by pheasantchick »

My DS could be doing a tennis event on Monday 10th May in the evening which may mean a late finish. I'm having a minor panic as I've just realised this coinides with SATs. The event is a one-off with a top Wimbledon coach.

I guess what I'm asking is how important are SATs to the whole 11+ process?

(For once, I want the teachers to go on strike!)
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

what year is your dc? :)
katel

Post by katel »

They should just take SATS in theri stride. Don't worry about it - the tennis is far more important!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Year 5.
mad?

Post by mad? »

katel wrote:They should just take SATS in theri stride. Don't worry about it - the tennis is far more important!
couldn't agree more
mad?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Yr 5? Then the exams can be moved! They are not sats but optional end of year exams.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Do year 5 do sats?

I thought it was year 2 and year 6 they do sats? Pleasantchick are these actual sats or something and is it everyschool that does them on the same day? I havent heard anything from DD's school on sats
Impossible is Nothing.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

sherry_d wrote:Do year 5 do sats?

I thought it was year 2 and year 6 they do sats? Pleasantchick are these actual sats or something and is it everyschool that does them on the same day? I havent heard anything from DD's school on sats
alot of primary schools do QCA optional SATS at the end of each year. My dd did them last year (year 5). I didnt prepare her for it but having the results was handy in knowing where she was, level wise, for her 11 pus preparation :)
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Alright I got some grades last year ie in Year 4 but I didnt know those were sats scores. It just said achievement level and stated what level they should be aiming for and what level she had achieved. I simply thought those were achievement levels. Now another question? Are those levels then based on one simple test or do they look at the overall daily work of the child too?
Impossible is Nothing.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

hi sherry :) i can only tell you what they do at my dd's school. On the school report they just waffle! no levels - but when speaking to the teacher i always ask - because my dd had been behind in maths and had caught up i needed her level. I got told what she had acheived in the optional SATS and also what level they felt she was acheiving in class. These levels tend not to vary much - maybe by a sub-level - Perhaps you should go and have a chat with her teacher and ask if they are doing optional SATS this year? :o